Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gabe

Default Calculating Minutes in Excel

Hello,

I am trying to add minutes up in Excel, but I can't figure out which formula
to use to display the total correctly? I am trying to add 55 plus 55 as
integers(110), I need the total to be displayed as 1.50 (.50) being the
difference in minutes. Here is a better look.

A1 = 55, A2 = 55, A3 =SUM(A1:A2)/60, A3 displays the value (1.8333).

Is there anyway to display the value as 1.50, instead of (1.8333) and keep
the value an integer? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

As long as you just use minutes like in your example this will work

=--TEXT(TEXT(INT(SUM(A1:A2)/60)&MOD(SUM(A1:A2),60),"00\:00"),"h.m")

Peo Sjoblom

"Gabe" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to add minutes up in Excel, but I can't figure out which

formula
to use to display the total correctly? I am trying to add 55 plus 55 as
integers(110), I need the total to be displayed as 1.50 (.50) being the
difference in minutes. Here is a better look.

A1 = 55, A2 = 55, A3 =SUM(A1:A2)/60, A3 displays the value (1.8333).

Is there anyway to display the value as 1.50, instead of (1.8333) and keep
the value an integer? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:06:02 -0800, "Gabe"
wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to add minutes up in Excel, but I can't figure out which formula
to use to display the total correctly? I am trying to add 55 plus 55 as
integers(110), I need the total to be displayed as 1.50 (.50) being the
difference in minutes. Here is a better look.

A1 = 55, A2 = 55, A3 =SUM(A1:A2)/60, A3 displays the value (1.8333).

Is there anyway to display the value as 1.50, instead of (1.8333) and keep
the value an integer? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

=INT((A1+A2)/60)+MOD(A1+A2,60)/100

Format the result as number with two decimal places.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Forget that one, won't work if total is less than a certain number

=--(INT(SUM(A1:A2)/60)&"."&TEXT(MOD(SUM(A1:A2),60),"00"))

Peo Sjoblom

"Gabe" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to add minutes up in Excel, but I can't figure out which

formula
to use to display the total correctly? I am trying to add 55 plus 55 as
integers(110), I need the total to be displayed as 1.50 (.50) being the
difference in minutes. Here is a better look.

A1 = 55, A2 = 55, A3 =SUM(A1:A2)/60, A3 displays the value

(1.8333).

Is there anyway to display the value as 1.50, instead of (1.8333) and

keep
the value an integer? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alan

"Gabe" wrote in message

Hello,

I am trying to add minutes up in Excel, but I can't figure out which
formula to use to display the total correctly? I am trying to add
55 plus 55 as integers(110), I need the total to be displayed as
1.50 (.50) being the difference in minutes. Here is a better look.

A1 = 55, A2 = 55, A3 =SUM(A1:A2)/60, A3 displays the value
(1.8333).

Is there anyway to display the value as 1.50, instead of (1.8333)
and keep the value an integer? Any help would be greatly
appriciated.
Thanks.

Hi Gabe,

I think you are mixing units which is causing the problem.

If you have A1 and A2 as above (I am assuming that the values in each
of those cells is actually 55 rather than '55 mins' which has a value
of 0.03819444...) then you can enter the following formula in A3:

=SUM(A1:A2)/(24*60)

Which evaluates to 0.0763888... which is 1 hour, 50 mins (the standard
unit of time in excel is a day = 24 hours).

To make it display as you set out above, change the number format for
that cell to:

h.mm

I would suggest you don't use that format though. It is ambiguous as
to whether you mean 1 hr, 50 mins or 1.50 hours (which is equal to
1hr, 30 mins).

Personally I would use this format:

hh:mm:ss

The use of a colon is generally accepted to indicate a separation
between hours, mins, and seconds so at least people will know it is a
time value of 1 hr, 50 mins (rather than 1 min, 50 secs).

Obviously you choice though!

HTH,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gabe

That worked great! Your'e a genius! Thank you so much for teaching me that, I
really appriciate it.

Gabe

wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to add minutes up in Excel, but I can't figure out which formula
to use to display the total correctly? I am trying to add 55 plus 55 as
integers(110), I need the total to be displayed as 1.50 (.50) being the
difference in minutes. Here is a better look.

A1 = 55, A2 = 55, A3 =SUM(A1:A2)/60, A3 displays the value (1.8333).

Is there anyway to display the value as 1.50, instead of (1.8333) and keep
the value an integer? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

=INT((A1+A2)/60)+MOD(A1+A2,60)/100

Format the result as number with two decimal places.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gabe

Ron,

In the formula you provided, how can I altar it to add a range instead of
only two cells?

Instead of, A1+A2,
Be, the SUM of A1:A20

wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to add minutes up in Excel, but I can't figure out which formula
to use to display the total correctly? I am trying to add 55 plus 55 as
integers(110), I need the total to be displayed as 1.50 (.50) being the
difference in minutes. Here is a better look.

A1 = 55, A2 = 55, A3 =SUM(A1:A2)/60, A3 displays the value (1.8333).

Is there anyway to display the value as 1.50, instead of (1.8333) and keep
the value an integer? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

=INT((A1+A2)/60)+MOD(A1+A2,60)/100

Format the result as number with two decimal places.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gabe

Actually I need the time to be in a certain integer form so that it can be
multiplied by a set price per minute. Sorry I forgot to clarify that from
the begining. Thanks for the help though.

Gabe

"Alan" wrote:

"Gabe" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alan

"Gabe" wrote in message

Actually I need the time to be in a certain integer form so that it
can be multiplied by a set price per minute. Sorry I forgot to
clarify that from the begining. Thanks for the help though.

Gabe

No problem, just multiply the result by (24*60 = 1440) to get to units
of a minute.

HTH,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:02:02 -0800, "Gabe"
wrote:

Ron,

In the formula you provided, how can I altar it to add a range instead of
only two cells?

Instead of, A1+A2,
Be, the SUM of A1:A20

=INT(SUM(A1:A20)/60)+MOD(SUM(A1:A20),60)/100

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gabe

Peo,

This one worked, but now I am trying to add 26.25 plus 3.50, yet I come up
with the answer of 29.75. I need it to read the same way so the value would
be (30.15). Is there a way to modify the current formula so that these values
add in multiples of 60 as well?

A1 = 26.25, A2 = 3.50, A3 = A1+A2,
A3 displays (29.75), can A3 display (30.15) instead?