Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Julie Quass

Default Functional difference b/n "" & " "

I've noticed in various postings that the quotes symbols are used (or
suggested to be used) without a space between them. What is the difference
between including or not including the space?

An example of it's use would be: IF (A1=B1,+C1,"")

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

With your sample formula, there would be no visible difference......both
cases would appear empty, but by using the " " there would actually be a
space character in the cell.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Julie Quass" wrote:

I've noticed in various postings that the quotes symbols are used (or
suggested to be used) without a space between them. What is the difference
between including or not including the space?

An example of it's use would be: IF (A1=B1,+C1,"")

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I think it's a pet peeve of many developers that people write formulas like:
=if(a1=b1,c1," ")
or use the space bar to clear the contents of cells (instead of hitting the
delete key).

It can really screw up formulas that look like:

=if(a1="","one thing","another")

It would have to be rewritten as:
=if(trim(a1)="","one thing","another")

just to make sure.

====
ps. That leading + (in +c1) is another pet peeve <vbg. It isn't necessary.