Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to create column of ranks.

In one column, I have a list of 500 or so sorted prices:

5.30
5.30
4.50
4.49
4.49
2.00

I want to rank these prices, so in the above example, I want to create
a column B that would be:

1
1
2
3
3
4 (ranking the prices in column A).
How do I do this? Thanks, Nitin Batra (email: ,
cell: 714-488-9584)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Before we get fancy, is this something you can use?:

Using your list in Cells A1:A6
B1: =RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$6)
Copy that formula down.

The results will be this:
5.3 1
5.3 1
4.5 3
4.49 4
4.49 4
2 6

Note the lack of a 2nd and 5th rank....Excel grants ties the same rank and
reserves placeholders for the missing items.

Acceptable? Yes? No?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

" wrote:

In one column, I have a list of 500 or so sorted prices:

5.30
5.30
4.50
4.49
4.49
2.00

I want to rank these prices, so in the above example, I want to create
a column B that would be:

1
1
2
3
3
4 (ranking the prices in column A).
How do I do this? Thanks, Nitin Batra (email: ,
cell: 714-488-9584)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, thanks! Let me know if you ever need a job, man!