Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim H

Default sorting items the same

Looking for best way and how to sort two seperate spreadsheets so that they
arrange in sequence even though not all same items on sheets

Thanks

Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim H

Not trying to sort sheet individually. Need to combine the two sheets onto
one and sort by same item by columns, the 2 sheet are not the same but need
to find items that will match up or equal each other side by side in columns.

"Tim H" <Tim wrote in message
Looking for best way and how to sort two seperate spreadsheets so that
they
arrange in sequence even though not all same items on sheets

Thanks

Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you have a limited number of columns and a unique key in both lists to match
up...

You may want to try this.

I'm assuming the key data is in column A of each sheet--but it doesn't have to
be.

Start a new worksheet
copy the key data from sheet1 to A1 of the new sheet
copy the key data from Sheet2 under that list in column A of the new sheet.
(include a single header row in row 1)

Now you have a giant list in column A--but it may have duplicates.

Select column A of that new worksheet.
Data|Filter|advanced filter
copy to another location (Use B1 of that new sheet)
Check unique records only

Now column B contains a unique list based on both sheets.

Delete column A (we're done with it).

Now you can use =vlookup()'s to bring back the data that you want from each
sheet.

You could use column's B and C for the same field from sheet1 and sheet2 and
then use a formula in column D indicating a difference between B and C:

If your key column isn't in column A, then you could do the same kind of thing
to build the unique list. But then use =index(match()) (instead of =vlookup())
to return the data.

You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

--