Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMax

Default Sorting more than 3 columns of Numeric data.

I have a spreadsheet with six (6) columns of numeric data and would like
to sort if ascending in each row. So the end result would be the lowest
numbers in each row at the top of the spreadsheet. Is this possible?

Thanks!

--
JMax
JMax's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6305

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

This is an exert from the help on sorting lists with more than 3 columns.
Basically, you need to sort the list twice. If you are sorting based on A,
then B, then C, then D, then E, then F, you need to first sort by D, then E,
then F (at the same time, and in that order); and then sort a second time by
A, then B, then C.

"If you need to sort by more than three columns, sort by the least important
columns first. For example, if your list contains employee information and
you need to organize it by Department, Title, Last Name, and First Name, sort
the list twice. First, click First Name in the Sort by box and sort the list.
Second, click Department in the Sort by box, click Title in the first Then by
box, and click Last Name in the second Then by box, and sort the list."

"JMax" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with six (6) columns of numeric data and would like
to sort if ascending in each row. So the end result would be the lowest
numbers in each row at the top of the spreadsheet. Is this possible?

Thanks!

--
JMax
JMax's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6305
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494208

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

JMax wrote:
I have a spreadsheet with six (6) columns of numeric data and would like
to sort if ascending in each row. So the end result would be the lowest
numbers in each row at the top of the spreadsheet. Is this possible?

Thanks!

--------------------

Yes it's possible. Let me describe the simple approach first, then from it you
can figure out the more complex and wonderful version on your own.

Sort the entire data set first *only* on the least significant column. Then
sort it a second time *only* on the next least. And so forth until you've
sorted it for the sixth time on *only* the most significant column. If I
understand your request properly, it will end up correctly sorted.

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMax

Sloth Wrote:
[...]

Thank you Sloth. I believe it worked. Maybe I should use F1 more
often:(