Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stanley

Default Extend text to next cell

I am trying to get my text to run over to the next cell only in display not
actual value of that cell. So if A1 says, "How now brown cow.", it should
show over cells A2 and A3. However, I also need the carriage returns to be
picked up. If I use the "Wrap Text" property it only shows the sentence in
that cell. If I don't use it I get the [] (brackets) in place of the carriage
return.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe you could merge those cells (A1:A3 or did you really mean A1:C1?)

But be aware that merging cells causes trouble with sorting, pasting, and lots
of other stuff.

Format|cells|alignment tab is where you can toggle merged cells.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stanley

Actually I cannot merge the cells for reasons that you mention as well as
some printing issues we have found in the past. And yes I meant A1:C1.

Stanley wrote:

I am trying to get my text to run over to the next cell only in display not
actual value of that cell. So if A1 says, "How now brown cow.", it should
show over cells A2 and A3. However, I also need the carriage returns to be
picked up. If I use the "Wrap Text" property it only shows the sentence in
that cell. If I don't use it I get the [] (brackets) in place of the carriage
return.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Then I don't think you can do what you want.

If you use wraptext, the text won't overflow to the adjacent cells. If you have
wraptext off, then your alt-enters won't work the way you want.

How about an ugly solution.

You put the data in another worksheet set up exactly the way you want.

Then you take a picture of that cell and paste it over A1:C1.

Select your cell that's pretty
Edit|copy
select A1 of the other sheet
shift-Edit|Paste picture link

This may not work for the some of the same issues you had with merged cells,
though.