Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
K. Westerman

Default Kaen

I have three columns of information:

RATE 15 DAY 30 DAY
5.750% 0.375 0.500
5.875% -0.250 -0.125
6.000% -0.625 -0.500
6.125% -1.125 -1.000
6.250% -1.500 -1.375
6.375% -1.875 -1.750
6.500% -2.250 -2.125
6.625% -2.750 -2.625
6.750% -3.125 -3.000
6.875% -3.625 -3.500

I three columns are the result of formulas which find the data elsewhere
(albeit simple references, i.e. =R3).

I would like to find the price in the third column closest, but never
greater than zero. and return this as my first result. The second result is
the corresponding interest rate (from the first column) that goes with the
matched price.

I've tried VLOOKUP, but I can't sort the third column another way and I keep
getting -3.50 as my matched price.

Other suggestions for how to do this? I would really appreciate it.

Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Try this:
With your example data in Cells A1:C11 ......and assuming that Col_C is in
descending order.

D1: =INDEX(C2:C11,MATCH(0,C2:C11,-1)+1,1)
returns -0.125

E1: =INDEX(A2:A11,MATCH(0,C2:C11,-1)+1,1)
returns 0.05875

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"K. Westerman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
K. Westerman

Thanks so much for your reply. Some work and some don't. Here's an example
of one that doesn't work:

Col f Col g Col h
RATE 15 DAY 30 DAY
6.250% -0.500 -0.375
6.375% -0.875 -0.750
6.500% -1.125 -1.000
6.625% -1.375 -1.250
6.750% -1.625 -1.500
6.875% -1.750 -1.625

=INDEX($F$20:$F$25,MATCH(0,$H$20:$H$25,-1)+1,1)

This returns #N/A. Have I missed something here?

Also, I would love to know how the formula breaks down; I don't completely
understand the reason you do INDEX and then MATCH and what the -1, and +1,1
mean.

Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

To avoid a much more complicated formula, just put these values at the top of
the table (just under the labels). The formula needs a value that is greater
than zero. (If you don't want to see them....hide the row)

RATE 15 Day 30 Day
1000.00% 999999 999999

Does that fix the situation?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"K. Westerman" wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply. Some work and some don't. Here's an example
of one that doesn't work:

Col f Col g Col h
RATE 15 DAY 30 DAY
6.250% -0.500 -0.375
6.375% -0.875 -0.750
6.500% -1.125 -1.000
6.625% -1.375 -1.250
6.750% -1.625 -1.500
6.875% -1.750 -1.625

=INDEX($F$20:$F$25,MATCH(0,$H$20:$H$25,-1)+1,1)

This returns #N/A. Have I missed something here?

Also, I would love to know how the formula breaks down; I don't completely
understand the reason you do INDEX and then MATCH and what the -1, and +1,1
mean.

Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Thanks for the feedback, Karen....I'm glad I could help.

***********
Regards,
Ron

"K. Westerman" wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply. Some work and some don't. Here's an example
of one that doesn't work:

Col f Col g Col h
RATE 15 DAY 30 DAY
6.250% -0.500 -0.375
6.375% -0.875 -0.750
6.500% -1.125 -1.000
6.625% -1.375 -1.250
6.750% -1.625 -1.500
6.875% -1.750 -1.625

=INDEX($F$20:$F$25,MATCH(0,$H$20:$H$25,-1)+1,1)

This returns #N/A. Have I missed something here?

Also, I would love to know how the formula breaks down; I don't completely
understand the reason you do INDEX and then MATCH and what the -1, and +1,1
mean.

Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
K. Westerman

Default One more small thing

Hi Ron,

I'm back. In some instances, there is a result of "0", but the formula is
picking up the next lesser matching item, which is less than zero. I'd like
it to pick the one that is closest to, but not larger than zero. Is it
possible to tweak this? If I understood the -1, +1, 1, I could take a crack
at it...

Thanks so much. Here's the example:

Col y Col z Col aa
1000.00% 999999 999999
5.63% 0.250 0.375
5.75% -0.125 0.000
5.88% -0.375 -0.250
6.00% -0.750 -0.625
6.13% -1.000 -0.875
6.25% -1.250 -1.125
6.38% -1.500 -1.375
6.50% -1.750 -1.625

=INDEX(Y32:Y40,MATCH(0,AA32:AA40,-1)+1,1)

Thanks,

Karen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
K. Westerman

Default Still need a little help

I'm still having the problem I mention below. I'm getting, in some
instances, the next lesser matching item when I want the one that is zero.
Can you please help me? If there's a more complicated way, I'm willing to
tackle it if you are.

Thanks so much.

"K. Westerman" wrote:

Hi Ron,

I'm back. In some instances, there is a result of "0", but the formula is
picking up the next lesser matching item, which is less than zero. I'd like
it to pick the one that is closest to, but not larger than zero. Is it
possible to tweak this? If I understood the -1, +1, 1, I could take a crack
at it...

Thanks so much. Here's the example.

Col y Col z Col aa
1000.00% 999999 999999
5.63% 0.250 0.375
5.75% -0.125 0.000
5.88% -0.375 -0.250
6.00% -0.750 -0.625
6.13% -1.000 -0.875
6.25% -1.250 -1.125
6.38% -1.500 -1.375
6.50% -1.750 -1.625

=INDEX(Y32:Y40,MATCH(0,AA32:AA40,-1)+1,1) with a result of 5.88%.

Thanks,

Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Try this

=INDEX($F$20:$F$25,MATCH(SMALL($H$20:$H$25,COUNTIF ($H$20:$H$25,"<=0")),$H$20:$H$25,0))

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"K. Westerman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
K. Westerman

Hello Peo,

This worked like a charm. Thanks so much. Now it's my turn to answer some
questions on the site. I always try to "give back" if I can...

Karen