Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LB79

Default VLOOKUP driving me crazy

Hi all - I have a VLOOKUP formula that is really bugging me. Instead of
reading accross it seems to be reading down. The formular is

=VLOOKUP(A1,OCU_VCU!W1:X20,1)

I cant see whats wrong with it - ive used VLOOKUP so much in other
projects - Im either really missing something or excel has gone funny.

Thanks for any comments.

--
LB79
LB79's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12156

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chalky

You aren’t giving a huge amount of detail but from what I can see two
things could be driving the error.

Firstly, by not including FALSE as the range lookup Excel will find the
nearest match to your lookup reference which mightn’t be what you are
after and secondly you are offsetting by 1, which doesn’t mean move
over one column it means take the column you find the reference in. If
you want to look up in column W and return a value from X you are going
to need to right it with a 2. I.e.:

=VLOOKUP(A1,OCU_VCU!W1:X20,2,FALSE) (FALSE is optional).

--
chalky
chalky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23758

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LB79

Thank you!! - Its the FALSE that does it. Ive not had this problem
before

--
LB79
LB79's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12156
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493051

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O

Instead of reading accross it seems to be reading down.
The V in VLOOKUP is for "vertical". Have you looked into HLOOKUP? (H
is for "horizontal".) That sounds like a better fit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chalky

Good to hear it worked

--
chalky
chalky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23758
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493051

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stephen

"LB79" wrote in message

Hi all - I have a VLOOKUP formula that is really bugging me. Instead of
reading accross it seems to be reading down. The formular is

=VLOOKUP(A1,OCU_VCU!W1:X20,1)

I cant see whats wrong with it - ive used VLOOKUP so much in other
projects - Im either really missing something or excel has gone funny.

Thanks for any comments.

--
LB79

Well, that formula is looking up A1 in column W and also returning the value
from column W. Presumably you want the corresponding value from column X, so
you need to change the last parameter from 1 to 2.