Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Karen

Default If Then Function with text

I am not sure if this is possible. I would like to return a value of
"consumer," "real estate", or "Visa" dependant on if another cell is equal to
B, C, or V. I get the error message ?NAME... so I am not sure if this is the
right formula - because the IF/Then needs numberical data or if it is
possible! Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey

One way:

=IF(A1="B","consumer",IF(A1="C","real estate",
IF(A1="V","Visa","Other")))

In article ,
"Karen" wrote:

I am not sure if this is possible. I would like to return a value of
"consumer," "real estate", or "Visa" dependant on if another cell is equal to
B, C, or V. I get the error message ?NAME... so I am not sure if this is the
right formula - because the IF/Then needs numberical data or if it is
possible! Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

=IF(A1="B","consumer",IF(A1="C","real estate",IF(A1="V","Visa","")))

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Karen" wrote in message
I am not sure if this is possible. I would like to return a value of
"consumer," "real estate", or "Visa" dependant on if another cell is equal

B, C, or V. I get the error message ?NAME... so I am not sure if this is

the
right formula - because the IF/Then needs numberical data or if it is
possible! Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete

Assume your B C or V values are in cell A2, the following formula will
give you what you want;

=IF(A2="B","Consumer",IF(A2="C","Real Estate","Visa"))

This assumes that only the values B C or V can exist in A2.

You probably got the ?NAME error by omitting the "" around the B etc,
so Excel was looking for a named range.

Pete