Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
create_share

Default can't change the alignment of numbers in cells

i have an excel workbook in which there are 3 sheets. in one sheet when i put
any number it goes to the left side of cell and if i press the align left or
center button it does not work. i even changed the category to number but
still same problem. If i put english words, i can change everything.

thankx!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Try changing the cell's format to General.
(Format|Cells|number tab)

What was it formatted like before?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
create_share

i tried but it does not have any affect on the cell. still the problem is
there. i have even cleared all the data and formatting but still if i put any
number it goes to the left side and even if i try to calculate these numbers
but using any formula, it doesn't count rather it shows the formula on the
cell not the result.

create_share wrote:

i have an excel workbook in which there are 3 sheets. in one sheet when i put
any number it goes to the left side of cell and if i press the align left or
center button it does not work. i even changed the category to number but
still same problem. If i put english words, i can change everything.

thankx!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you're seeing the formula instead of the results of the formula, then either
you're viewing formulas:

Tools|Options|View tab (to toggle that seting on/off)
You have the cell formatted as text (format|cells|number tab)
or you made a mistake in your formula entry
(an extra space bar before the equal sign for example)

create_share wrote:

i have an excel workbook in which there are 3 sheets. in one sheet when i put
any number it goes to the left side of cell and if i press the align left or
center button it does not work. i even changed the category to number but
still same problem. If i put english words, i can change everything.

thankx!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KathyinCincinnati

I am having exactly the same problem. Alignment works fine for letters and
symbols but will not work with numbers. I have two spreadsheets, one that is
OK, one that is 'broken'. I have compared everything I can think of and can
find no reason why the numbers insist on being on the left in one of the
spreadsheets. The cell format says they should be centered, but they are
not.

"create_share" wrote:

i have an excel workbook in which there are 3 sheets. in one sheet when i put
any number it goes to the left side of cell and if i press the align left or
center button it does not work. i even changed the category to number but
still same problem. If i put english words, i can change everything.

thankx!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Kathy

Can you send me a copy of the "broken" file?

Change the AT and DOT to @ and . to get my email address.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP