Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BorisS

Default custom formatting

I have never really understood how the custom formatting works with basic
numbers. Can anyone explain (or point me to somewhere that explains what
things like the following "language" are are saying:

_($* #,##0_);_($* (#,##0);_($* "-"??_);_(@_)

this is just an example, but I'd like to be able to understand them all.
Thanks.
--
Boris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BorisS

for my immediate needs, I need for a cell to take a number input
(representing a whole percent), and display it as a "+"/"-" if
positive/negative, then the number with no decimal, "%" sign, and then either
the word "growth" or "decline" depending on positive or negative. Possible?
--
Boris

"BorisS" wrote:

I have never really understood how the custom formatting works with basic
numbers. Can anyone explain (or point me to somewhere that explains what
things like the following "language" are are saying:

_($* #,##0_);_($* (#,##0);_($* "-"??_);_(@_)

this is just an example, but I'd like to be able to understand them all.
Thanks.
--
Boris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

In Excel Help, lookup the topic "Guidelines for custom number formats",
which gives a detailed explanation of the various format characters and
codes and how they are used.

For your format, you probably just want

+0% "growth";-0% "decline";0;_(@_)

--