Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
marko

Default User defined buttons in Toolbars,transfer to another computer

Hi!
I made a button in my toolbar in excel for making multiple copies of a
sheet. I made a Personal Macro Workbook and put my code into it because
i don't know how to make code that will be accessible in every excel,
if you know what i mean. So i assigned that macro to the my toolbar
button and it works just fine in any excel workbook i open.

Now my FIRST question: Is there an easy way to just write code in VB
and assign it to my button and that it works in any excel file that i
open on my computer?

My SECOND question: if I make my own defined MENU with my own commands
which have assigned macros(i wrote my code) can i transfer that menu to
another computer? Or can i maybe assign that meny and all the
macros(all the VB code) to some excell file and when i put that
workbook on another computer it will have my menues?
Thanks!

Marko

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Yes, you can put macros in any workbook and have the icons on any toolbar
assigned to any of those macros.

But that becomes very difficult for organization purposes.

If you have macros that you want to make available to others, then put them into
a workbook, but don't save it as personal.xls (or personal.xla).

You can only have one workbook open that has the name of personal.xls and if any
in your audience is already using personal.xls for their own stuff, it'll cause
heartache and pain. They'll have to decide to keep yours or keep their own.

Instead, you can use a different name (MarcoUtils.xla, saved as an addin).

You could build the menu by using John Walkenbach's menumaker program:

Then you can share this addin in a couple of different ways.

If each user always has access to a common network folder, you could put it in
that folder and tell the users to install it via:
tools|Addins
and browse to that folder.

Then you have one file to keep up to date.

If the users don't always have access to that folder, you could send them the
..xla file and tell them to save it to a nice local (C: drive) location.

Then use tools|addins to browse for your addin.

If you're really industrious, you could even give them a small installation
program that they run to install the addin.

Jan Karel Pieterse has a nice install program included in the .zip file for his
(with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) name manager utility.

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp/

And if you use names in any of your workbooks, keep that name manager utility.
It's very helpful.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
marko

Hi!
Sorry for this late reply, I couldn't get to the net! :)
I visited those sites from your post and they seem interesting and I
think i will make some good out of it. Thanks again and best regards,

Marko