Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ab

Default toolsoptions cannot change file locations

Hi,

I recently moved to a new computer. I transferred my MS Office settings
from the old computer to the new one. I had set the Autorecover save
location for an excel file on a different partition on the old PC. The
file opens fine on the new computer but under ToolsOptions when I try
clicking on any of the tabs, I get an error message that the partition
cannot be found! So everytime it tries to save an autorecover version,
it cannot and gives an error message, and does not allow me to change
the location! I was wondering if there was another way to change the
location of the default folder, autorecover, etc. I will appreciate any
help.

-ab
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe you could change it via a line of code:

Open excel
hit alt-F8 to get to the VBE (where macros live)
hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window

type this and hit enter:
Application.AutoRecover.Path = "c:\"

(Actually, if you don't have a C: drive, change that to something else that you
do have.

After you hit enter, it's back to excel and try:
tools|options|save tab
and change it to what you really want.

If your a good typist, you could even do that in that line of code, too. (But
I ain't that good!)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

If Dave's suggestion doesn't work...........

There was an issue in Version 2002(I believe) since fixed by one of the
Service Packs.

Perhaps you have entered more than 53 characters in the file path to your
default file location in ToolsOptionsGeneral or in the Autorecovery path.

Try re-naming folders in the path to come up with less than 53 characters then
re-enter your new path.

You will have to edit the path in the registry in order
to change the path if you can't get in through ToolsOptions.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\E xcel\OptionsAutoRecoverPath
Enter your new path here. Less than 53 characters. You can always change it
later when you get into ToolsOptionsSave

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

ab wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved to a new computer. I transferred my MS Office settings
from the old computer to the new one. I had set the Autorecover save
location for an excel file on a different partition on the old PC. The
file opens fine on the new computer but under ToolsOptions when I try
clicking on any of the tabs, I get an error message that the partition
cannot be found! So everytime it tries to save an autorecover version,
it cannot and gives an error message, and does not allow me to change
the location! I was wondering if there was another way to change the
location of the default folder, autorecover, etc. I will appreciate any
help.

-ab

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ab

The second method of editing the entry in the registry worked very well!
Thanks for the tip. There is another similar problem. On the old pc,
MS office was installed on D: drive. As soon as I open excel now (on
C:), there is error memssage saying "D:\prog files\MS
Office\OFFICE1\LIbrary\MWCAL.XLL could not be found. How can I update
the location of this file ? I am not sure why excel is looking for this
file.

Another related question, though not excel is when I open MS outlook, I
get the message that an add-in "C:\docs and settings\usename\application
data\addins\D:\program files\Microsoft
office\office11\addins\outbak.dll' is not valid. I looked in the
registry for outlook but there was no entry pointing to the D: drive.

I think I meesed up the settings on the new by saving and importing the
setting from the old pc using the files and setting transfer utility. I
would appreciate if you guys can help me out again.

thanks,
-ab

ab wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved to a new computer. I transferred my MS Office settings
from the old computer to the new one. I had set the Autorecover save
location for an excel file on a different partition on the old PC. The
file opens fine on the new computer but under ToolsOptions when I try
clicking on any of the tabs, I get an error message that the partition
cannot be found! So everytime it tries to save an autorecover version,
it cannot and gives an error message, and does not allow me to change
the location! I was wondering if there was another way to change the
location of the default folder, autorecover, etc. I will appreciate any
help.

-ab

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I think you may be at the tip of the iceberg. You may find the solution for
these, but then find many more problems.

I think I would consider uninstalling office (including Outlook) and
reinstalling. And I'd change those settings manually.

If that doesn't appeal to you, you may want to visit the Outlook newsgroups for
more help for that program.

Good luck.

ab wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved to a new computer. I transferred my MS Office settings
from the old computer to the new one. I had set the Autorecover save
location for an excel file on a different partition on the old PC. The
file opens fine on the new computer but under ToolsOptions when I try
clicking on any of the tabs, I get an error message that the partition
cannot be found! So everytime it tries to save an autorecover version,
it cannot and gives an error message, and does not allow me to change
the location! I was wondering if there was another way to change the
location of the default folder, autorecover, etc. I will appreciate any
help.

-ab

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ab

I tried doing a clean install, but somehow MS Office "remembers" the old
settings. When I uninstalled Office, the registry values did not get
removed. Dont know what to do! Just have to live with these error messages?

ab wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved to a new computer. I transferred my MS Office settings

from the old computer to the new one. I had set the Autorecover save

location for an excel file on a different partition on the old PC. The
file opens fine on the new computer but under ToolsOptions when I try
clicking on any of the tabs, I get an error message that the partition
cannot be found! So everytime it tries to save an autorecover version,
it cannot and gives an error message, and does not allow me to change
the location! I was wondering if there was another way to change the
location of the default folder, autorecover, etc. I will appreciate any
help.

-ab

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you have excel reinstalled, maybe...

1. Close all the programs you can see
2. windows start button|Run
Regedit
3. Make a back up of the registry before you turn your pc into an anchor!
File|export
(export range: All (not selected branch)
4. Then go to HKEY_Current_User
(It's kind of like windows explorer where you can expand each branch)
HKEY_Current_User
Software
Microsoft
Office
11.0 (if you're using xl2003)
Excel

Click on Options to select it
Edit|Rename
OptionsBAD (just a different name)
5. Close up the registry window
6. Windows start button|run
excel /unregserver
followed by
excel /regserver
7. If that doesn't work, maybe you could kill the whole Office key and then
reinstall. I don't know enough about Outlook to know if this will fix any
problem you have there.

8. Remember to back up that registry before you do anything!

===

In fact, if you're using WinXP, you can set a restore point (it might be easier
to recover from this).

Windows|start button|programs|accessories|system tools|System Restore
Choose to create a restore point.

In fact (again), if you haven't installed any new software (or made changes to
existing software that you don't care if you lose), you may be able to choose to
restore your system to the way it was before you "installed" office.

If you've lived a good life, you'll find a restore point that was taken before
you did the install (and if you've lived an excellent life, it'll work.

In any case, make a restore point for today so that you can always restore to
get to the current configuration.