Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
luvsdogz

Default Can you sort a column by text going right to left?

I am trying to sort a by column, but want the sort to start with the right
side of the column-for example
1234gk-want to sort by kg4321 or really just gk, but I thought I could get
right to left easier.
I don't want to go thru the whole sheet to delete the numbers
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rowan Drummond

If all your data is in that format in an unused column you could enter
the formula:
=Right(A1,2)
Then copy down and sort on this new column

Hope this helps
Rowan

luvsdogz wrote:
I am trying to sort a by column, but want the sort to start with the right
side of the column-for example
1234gk-want to sort by kg4321 or really just gk, but I thought I could get
right to left easier.
I don't want to go thru the whole sheet to delete the numbers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 18:24:02 -0800, "luvsdogz"
wrote:

I am trying to sort a by column, but want the sort to start with the right
side of the column-for example
1234gk-want to sort by kg4321 or really just gk, but I thought I could get
right to left easier.
I don't want to go thru the whole sheet to delete the numbers

Are all the sort keys the same length?

In other words, are there always 6 characters?

If that is the case, then you could use worksheet formulas to generate the
reverse of the number in an adjacent column, and then sort on that reversed
column.

For example:

=CONCATENATE(RIGHT(A1,1),MID(A1,5,1),MID(A1,4,1),M ID(A1,3,1),MID(A1,2,1),LEFT(A1,1))

If there is more variability, the approach could be similar, but with testing
for the length of the string.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rowan Drummond

You're welcome.

luvsdogz wrote:
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! Works like a charm!
Aimee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On a slightly similar vein... Can you suggest a way to sort by IP addresses?
since the format is 10.105.72.1 -255 and there are no leading zeros to
indicate value order. I'm having trouble getting it to sort without is
listing it as
1
10
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
11
111
112
113...etc...

any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

DB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

as this Postis 21 months old and nobody has replied perhaps Microsoft have
mucked up the sort in EXCEl. As I have tried to sort product numbers which
could be between 5 and 10 digits long strting with any digit between 0 and 9
and EXCEL2003 want to always sort it by the value, so 999250 comes before
1890046, whereas in all earlier Excel products I have never had a problem.
If any one can help please post the reply here.
GR