Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kord

Default How do I set the default to "Open" or "New" for a template

Somehow I have changed a default setting that I cannot figure out how to
change back. I have various templates setup in a "Forms" folder. Normally I
go to My Documents, find the template file and double click on it, and the
appropiate program (usually either Excel or Word) starts and opens a copy of
the template as a document. What happens now is that the program starts and
the template itself opens. I have tried going to My Documents and right
clicking on the file and what appears to be happening is that the default
(highlighted) option is "Open" instead of "New" which is what the default
used to be. How do I change it back?--
Kord
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Kord

I would try to re-register Excel first.

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

One more thing to try if any of the above brings no joy.........

Go to StartSettingsFolderOptionsFile Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
Templatet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit select "New" and Edit. Make sure
"New" is the default by it being at top of list and Bolded.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to XLT then "Advanced"NewEdit.

Also make sure "New" is the default action.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp/e if
you want Book1 to open.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:28:03 -0800, "Kord"
wrote:

Somehow I have changed a default setting that I cannot figure out how to
change back. I have various templates setup in a "Forms" folder. Normally I
go to My Documents, find the template file and double click on it, and the
appropiate program (usually either Excel or Word) starts and opens a copy of
the template as a document. What happens now is that the program starts and
the template itself opens. I have tried going to My Documents and right
clicking on the file and what appears to be happening is that the default
(highlighted) option is "Open" instead of "New" which is what the default
used to be. How do I change it back?--
Kord

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Saved from a previous post:
===========================

Are you opening a template file (*.xlt) or a normal workbook file (*.xls)?

If you're opening a template file, then this is the way excel works--so you
don't overwrite that template.

If you're opening an excel file, then excel/windows is confused.

It sounds like windows is using New as the default action when you doubleclick
on the filename in windows explorer.

If you right click on a *.xls file, you'll see a bunch of options--one will be
Open and one will be New. Open should be the bold (default) one.

I bet you'll see New in bold.

If that's the case, you can try this:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Now try double clicking on that filename.

Did it work ok?

If yes, woohoo!

If no, you could manually change the default action.

Close excel
start windows explorer
tools|folder options|file types tab
scroll down to the xls extension (microsoft excel worksheet)
click the advanced button
click on the Open item in the Actions box
click set as default
(ok your way out)

==========================
MSWord has the same flags:

Close MSWord
Windows Start Button|Run
winword /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
winword /regserver

(or do that other stuff if this doesn't help.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Dave

I believe OP wants "New" to be the default, which when double-click on an
*.XLT file will open Excel with Document1.xls loaded.

If "Open" is default, the Template.xlt will open.

Gord

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:26:32 -0600, Dave Peterson
wrote:

Saved from a previous post:
===========================

Kord wrote:

Somehow I have changed a default setting that I cannot figure out how to
change back. I have various templates setup in a "Forms" folder. Normally I
go to My Documents, find the template file and double click on it, and the
appropiate program (usually either Excel or Word) starts and opens a copy of
the template as a document. What happens now is that the program starts and
the template itself opens. I have tried going to My Documents and right
clicking on the file and what appears to be happening is that the default
(highlighted) option is "Open" instead of "New" which is what the default
used to be. How do I change it back?--
Kord

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Oops. I guess I copied the wrong post. But except for the details, the method
is the same <vbg.

Except that the OP will rightclick on a .xlt file and make sure it's New as the
default.

Did I say Oops?

Gord Dibben wrote:

Dave

I believe OP wants "New" to be the default, which when double-click on an
*.XLT file will open Excel with Document1.xls loaded.

If "Open" is default, the Template.xlt will open.

Gord

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:26:32 -0600, Dave Peterson
wrote:

Saved from a previous post:
===========================

Kord wrote:

Somehow I have changed a default setting that I cannot figure out how to
change back. I have various templates setup in a "Forms" folder. Normally I
go to My Documents, find the template file and double click on it, and the
appropiate program (usually either Excel or Word) starts and opens a copy of
the template as a document. What happens now is that the program starts and
the template itself opens. I have tried going to My Documents and right
clicking on the file and what appears to be happening is that the default
(highlighted) option is "Open" instead of "New" which is what the default
used to be. How do I change it back?--
Kord

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

I had already sent a post outlining basically the same info except I directed
OP to the "New" default.

Between the two posts OP should get the picture.

I'm betting the re-register will fix it anyway.

Gord

Gord Dibben wrote:

Dave

I believe OP wants "New" to be the default, which when double-click on an
*.XLT file will open Excel with Document1.xls loaded.

If "Open" is default, the Template.xlt will open.

Gord

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:26:32 -0600, Dave Peterson
wrote:

Saved from a previous post: