Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Default How do I set the default to "Open" or "New" for a template

Kord

I would try to re-register Excel first.

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

One more thing to try if any of the above brings no joy.........

Go to StartSettingsFolderOptionsFile Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
Templatet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit select "New" and Edit. Make sure
"New" is the default by it being at top of list and Bolded.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to XLT then "Advanced"NewEdit.

Also make sure "New" is the default action.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp/e if
you want Book1 to open.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:28:03 -0800, "Kord"
wrote:

Somehow I have changed a default setting that I cannot figure out how to
change back. I have various templates setup in a "Forms" folder. Normally I
go to My Documents, find the template file and double click on it, and the
appropiate program (usually either Excel or Word) starts and opens a copy of
the template as a document. What happens now is that the program starts and
the template itself opens. I have tried going to My Documents and right
clicking on the file and what appears to be happening is that the default
(highlighted) option is "Open" instead of "New" which is what the default
used to be. How do I change it back?--
Kord