Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mike9999

Default Convert xls to txt

I have been converting an XLS csv file to a txt file, by simply renaming
the extension. Now I want to do the same on XP and the file name changes
but it still stays as an XLS icon. How do I do that ?

--
mike9999
mike9999's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29315

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

First, I'd double check to see if you have extensions showing for all the files.

Open windows explorer
tools|folder options|view tab
make sure "hide extensions for know file types" is not checked.

(I guessing that your file may be named xxx.csv.csv and you've changed it to
xxx.txt.csv, but you can't see the real extension.)

If that's true, then just turn off that setting and rename the file.

If that's not true, then I think this is more of a windows problem than excel.
(I renamed book1.csv to book1.txt and the icon changed to Notepad for me (winXP
Home).)

Try shift-rightclick on any .txt file. Choose "Open With". Browse for
Notepad--or your favorite text editor.

Make sure "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is
checked.

I'm hoping that Notepad takes back the .txt extension and windows uses the icon
for Notepad.

mike9999 wrote:

I have been converting an XLS csv file to a txt file, by simply renaming
the extension. Now I want to do the same on XP and the file name changes
but it still stays as an XLS icon. How do I do that ?

--
mike9999
mike9999's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29315
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=490333

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mike9999

Thats It !!! Thank you

--
mike9999
mike9999's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29315
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=490333

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Glad you got it fixed, but which one was it? (Just curious)

mike9999 wrote:

Thats It !!! Thank you