Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Rogers

Default Security Signature

I have a medical charting form that requires filling in one row and then
initialing the column next to it. For instance, if the nurse takes a blood
pressure, they would log it in A1 and initial in A2. These two columns
represent one day. At this time the form must be printed, filled in and
filed. With medical records it is critical to track what was done, who did
it, and to whom. And each procedure must be initialed by the one doing it.
What I would like to do is do this digitally, then on a weekly basis print
the form, sign it and file it. Usually the same nurse is charting for the
day/shift they work but there may be a different one charting either a
different shift or day. I need a way of making them only place their
initials on the work they did. (Not that they would intentionally cheat). I
was thinking one-way would be to have a macro to require an ID to log into
the form, and then somehow an €œIF€ statement that would read the ID and
automatically enter the initials based on the ID. Or a larger macro that
would enter the initials into any selected cell or cells, again based in the
sign-in ID. This will work as long as no one shares his or her ID. Another
way might be with a vlookup, but dont know if there is a way to maintain a
certain level of security. I can do a simple IF statement (because there
would never be more then 7 people charting), but I feel this is too easy to
get around. Any ideas?

Mike Rogers
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
exceluserforeman

Hello Mike Rogers,

I think it would be possible to create something of which you ask.

I prefer to use userforms where the data is loaded into listboxes and
textboxes etc. This stops direct access to the worksheet by the user unless
macros are disabled.

You should consider a VB6 userform concept where excel is not used and the
data is stored in a locked folder, accessible by password only.

VB6 uses an executable file to store the forms. You can view, or download,
some demos at
http://au.geocities.com/windsofmark

A startup form for logging in
If the user id is correct then the data entry form open and the start up
form closes.

What you are asking may not be free. It can also take a bit of time to
setup; sometimes up to a week and then some to get the right configuration.
also, if data is private and the wrong information is provided, it takes a
lot longer to fix the problems.

Also, I have not done vb6 for a while and am a bit rusty.

"Mike Rogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Rogers

exceluserforeman:

Thank you for the input. I think I need to more clearly define in my mind
the most realistic security that is required. I don't see this as needing a
fire proof way. I think I need to establish some guild lines on what is the
most likely security level to expect. I will ponder it and continue to play
with various ideas, including your, and may post back later. Thanks again
for the reply.

Mike Rogers

"Mike Rogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
exceluserforeman

you're welcome
PS

check out my excel stuff at:
http://www.geocities.com/excelmarksway

- -mark

"Mike Rogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Rogers

exceluserforeman,

Thanks for the tip on the website...cool stuff!!!!
I am always looking for new stuff that I can learn from. Thanks!!!

Mike Rogers