Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lee Hunter

Default Request for design help

I'm trying to design a hardcopy spreadsheet to be used for data collection;

It has 3 variables:
Part Number - 16 possible choices
Color - 1 to 5 choices depending on part number
Defect Type - 25 possible choices per each part number / color combination
I am collecting the number of defects per each Part number/color/defect type
combination.

e.g
Part 1, Red, Dirty 2
Part 1, Blue, Damaged 5
Part 2, Yellow, Scratched 3
etc

What would you suggest?

Thanks for your help
Lee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone

Lee,
Look at using Data Validation with the list option.
"Validation" is on the data menu.
Click the down arrow under "allow" and select list.
Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Lee Hunter"

wrote in message

I'm trying to design a hardcopy spreadsheet to be used for data collection;
It has 3 variables:
Part Number - 16 possible choices
Color - 1 to 5 choices depending on part number
Defect Type - 25 possible choices per each part number / color combination
I am collecting the number of defects per each Part number/color/defect type
combination.
e.g
Part 1, Red, Dirty 2
Part 1, Blue, Damaged 5
Part 2, Yellow, Scratched 3
etc
What would you suggest?
Thanks for your help
Lee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lee Hunter

Thanks for the reply Jim.

I appreciate your idea, however, I am looking for the "hardcopy" solution so
that the "hands on deck" without a computer can fill out the form for the
best data entry solution.

Does that spark any ideas?

Lee

wrote in message

I'm trying to design a hardcopy spreadsheet to be used for data collection;
It has 3 variables:
Part Number - 16 possible choices
Color - 1 to 5 choices depending on part number
Defect Type - 25 possible choices per each part number / color combination
I am collecting the number of defects per each Part number/color/defect type
combination.
e.g
Part 1, Red, Dirty 2
Part 1, Blue, Damaged 5
Part 2, Yellow, Scratched 3
etc
What would you suggest?
Thanks for your help
Lee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone

Lee,
Doesn't sound like an Excel question, however as an idea...
Your could print five different colored hardcopies with the
part numbers and defect types that apply to each particular color.
Jim Cone