Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jvan100

Default weighting a value?

Let's say I have 10 hours to accomplish 10 tasks. Having previously
accomplished each of these tasks I know some will take longer than
others. Let's say I want to weight them into three categories,
easiest receives a weight of 1, harder 1.5 and harder yet 2.5. What
Excel trick, or someones know how, would be used to spread my 10 hours
appropriately over the 10 tasks?

--
jvan100
jvan100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29223

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Convert weights into percentages:

t1 1 22.22% 2.222222222
t2 1.5 33.33% 3.333333333
t3 2 44.44% 4.444444444
4.5
This example is for three tasks only
Column A has the task name
Column B has your weights ( row #4 has the sum of the above)
Column C has the percents (=B1/$B$4 in C1)
Column D has the hour breakdown ( =10*C1 in D1)
--
Gary's Student

"jvan100" wrote:

Let's say I have 10 hours to accomplish 10 tasks. Having previously
accomplished each of these tasks I know some will take longer than
others. Let's say I want to weight them into three categories,
easiest receives a weight of 1, harder 1.5 and harder yet 2.5. What
Excel trick, or someones know how, would be used to spread my 10 hours
appropriately over the 10 tasks?

--
jvan100
jvan100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29223
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=489476

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

If I understand you correctly you need to multiply the score by 10/X where X
is the sum of the scores. This will convert the wheight to a time. In the
example below I randomly inserted the scores and they summed to 15. I then
multiplied each number by 10/15 to get the bottom list. The sum of the new
list equals 10. So in this example items with 1 recieve 2/3 of one hour, 1.5
recieve one hour, and 2.5 recieve 2 2/3 of one hour. I hope this is what you
wanted.

1
1.5
2.5
1.5
1
2.5
1
1
1.5
1.5
15

0.666666667
1
1.666666667
1
0.666666667
1.666666667
0.666666667
0.666666667
1
1
10

"jvan100" wrote:

Let's say I have 10 hours to accomplish 10 tasks. Having previously
accomplished each of these tasks I know some will take longer than
others. Let's say I want to weight them into three categories,
easiest receives a weight of 1, harder 1.5 and harder yet 2.5. What
Excel trick, or someones know how, would be used to spread my 10 hours
appropriately over the 10 tasks?

--
jvan100
jvan100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29223
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=489476

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"jvan100" wrote:
Let's say I have 10 hours to accomplish 10 tasks.
[....] Let's say I want to weight them into three
categories, easiest receives a weight of 1, harder
1.5 and harder yet 2.5. What Excel trick, or
someones know how, would be used to spread
my 10 hours appropriately over the 10 tasks?

Suppose you have tasks t1, t2, ..., tN with
corresponding weights w1, w2, ..., wN. In your case,
some of the wX values are the same, selected from
1, 1.5 and 2.5. If the total time is T, then:

t1 = T*w1/SUM(w1:wN)
t2 = T*w2/SUM(w1:wN)
tN = T*wN/SUM(w1:wN)

It is important to note that you sum all N weights,
not just the 3 categories of weights in your case.