Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

Default weighting a value?

If I understand you correctly you need to multiply the score by 10/X where X
is the sum of the scores. This will convert the wheight to a time. In the
example below I randomly inserted the scores and they summed to 15. I then
multiplied each number by 10/15 to get the bottom list. The sum of the new
list equals 10. So in this example items with 1 recieve 2/3 of one hour, 1.5
recieve one hour, and 2.5 recieve 2 2/3 of one hour. I hope this is what you
wanted.

1
1.5
2.5
1.5
1
2.5
1
1
1.5
1.5
15

0.666666667
1
1.666666667
1
0.666666667
1.666666667
0.666666667
0.666666667
1
1
10

"jvan100" wrote:

Let's say I have 10 hours to accomplish 10 tasks. Having previously
accomplished each of these tasks I know some will take longer than
others. Let's say I want to weight them into three categories,
easiest receives a weight of 1, harder 1.5 and harder yet 2.5. What
Excel trick, or someones know how, would be used to spread my 10 hours
appropriately over the 10 tasks?

--
jvan100
jvan100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29223