Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jgraves

Default Other Users Cannot Insert to my Worksheet

Can someone help me understand why, when I email a workbook to someone else,
they receive the workbook, but when they try to insert a new worksheet to it,
they get an odd error message and they cannot do it. I am sure this has
something to do with the protection of my workbook, but I can't figure it out.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Can you insert a worksheet in the workbook before you send it?

If you cannot, maybe it's because you have the workbook protected.

Tools|Protection|unprotect workbook
(you may need to supply a password)

If you can, then it's not the workbook protection.

Maybe something bad is happening to the workbook in the email. Can you try
zipping the file, then sending that?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jgraves

Dave, I can insert a worksheet before I send it, and I notice that when I
check the Tools/Protection menu heading, the option to unprotect workbook is
not present, so I assume that the workbook is not protected.
I will try zipping it as you suggested and check with the recipient.
Thanks so much for your quick reply.
I am assuming because of safety reasons you cannot accept a file from me,
but I will check anyway - can I send the workbook to you?

jgraves wrote:

Can someone help me understand why, when I email a workbook to someone else,
they receive the workbook, but when they try to insert a new worksheet to it,
they get an odd error message and they cannot do it. I am sure this has
something to do with the protection of my workbook, but I can't figure it out.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I don't like opening other files.

If you send it to yourself, do you have the problem?

(It may be better to just test it with the person who has the problem. They
might own the problem.)

jgraves wrote:

Can someone help me understand why, when I email a workbook to someone else,
they receive the workbook, but when they try to insert a new worksheet to it,
they get an odd error message and they cannot do it. I am sure this has
something to do with the protection of my workbook, but I can't figure it out.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jgraves

I completely understand your caution. In any case, I just heard back from the
original recipient. (Actually there were originally 2 recipients experiencing
the same problem)
I added the sheet he wanted and sent that new file in one message unzipped
and another message zipped, as you suggested. Both files behaved as he
expected - he was able to insert new worksheets in each with no strange
message.

In the QA world, I guess this is a "non-repeatable" bug.

Thanks again for all your trouble - I really appreciate it.
Jen Graves