Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KatMic

Default How do I merge cells with multiple data values?

I've tried highlighting the two cells which are in the same row. It
suggested that I format and align. Both of which I've tried. I keep getting
the same error message, "The selection contains multiple data values. Merging
into one cell will keep the upper-most data only." I need to make the cells
one with all my information. Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Otto Moehrbach

Not knowing what you want to do, let me make a suggestion. Put all your
data into the first cell and leave the second cell empty. Select both
cells. Click on Format - Cells - Alignment tab. In the "Horizontal" box
click on "Center Across Selection". Does this work for you? HTH Otto
"KatMic" wrote in message
I've tried highlighting the two cells which are in the same row. It
suggested that I format and align. Both of which I've tried. I keep
getting
the same error message, "The selection contains multiple data values.
Merging
into one cell will keep the upper-most data only." I need to make the
cells
one with all my information. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Katmic

That is the nature of merged cells. The data from only the top left cell will
be retained.

Merged cells cause no end of problems with sorting, filtering, copying,
pasting and other functions too numerous to remember or list.

Go with Otto's "center across" whenever possible.

To get the contents of two cells into one......

=A1 & B1

=A1 & " " & B1 if you want a space between contents.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP