Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan

Default how do i sum a total in excel with numbers and text 58kg + 60kg

I can't seem to find a formula to add a column of numbers that have text, e.g
50kg+60kg+75kg won't add - can anyone help

Many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Whenever you need to use numbers and text together and also need
computations, use custom formatting:

Pick an empty cell and pull-down:
Format Cells Number Custom and enter General"kg"
if you then enter 100 in that cell, it will appear as 100kg, but you can
still use it for computations.
--
Gary's Student

"Bryan" wrote:

I can't seem to find a formula to add a column of numbers that have text, e.g
50kg+60kg+75kg won't add - can anyone help

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan

Default how do i sum a total in excel with numbers and text 58kg + 60k

Hi Gary - thanks - the problem here is that I am using a weigh scales program
that exports a txt file to excel and I need to sum the total but it is coming
across as xxkg already so when I applied your suggestion it didn't add. I
appreciated your help though. Thanks from Australia!

"Bryan" wrote:

I can't seem to find a formula to add a column of numbers that have text, e.g
50kg+60kg+75kg won't add - can anyone help

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi Bryan

Try
=--SUBSTITUTE(A1,"kg","")
this will turn your numbers from text 50kg to 50

Regards

Roger Govier