ericx

Default how 'come green isn't green?

This one has perplexed me for years...

If I do "Format/Cells...", "Number" tab, and type in a new number
format like this...

[Green]$ #,##0.00_-;[Red]-$ #,##0.00_-

and look at the output for positive numbers, the green colour presented
is the 4th one down from the top of the color grid (a bright green,
almost neon color) instead of the green that is the 2nd one down from
the top (a real dark green colour, like money (or grass)).

Anyone know how to get the formatting to show the 'good' dark green
colour, not the bright neon green.

Just wonderin' all these years...

Eric

--
ericx
ericx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16860

Bob Phillips

Eric,

I don't this for a fact, but playing with it suggests that the formatting is
not using colours from the colour palette, but is simply using RGB values ,
red =&HFF0000, green = &H00FF00, and blue = &H0000FF. I change the colour of
the bright green on the palette to the &H008000 of the good green, and it
made no difference to the format.

--

HTH

RP

"ericx" wrote in message

This one has perplexed me for years...

If I do "Format/Cells...", "Number" tab, and type in a new number
format like this...

[Green]$ #,##0.00_-;[Red]-$ #,##0.00_-

and look at the output for positive numbers, the green colour presented
is the 4th one down from the top of the color grid (a bright green,
almost neon color) instead of the green that is the 2nd one down from
the top (a real dark green colour, like money (or grass)).

Anyone know how to get the formatting to show the 'good' dark green
colour, not the bright neon green.

Just wonderin' all these years...

Eric

--
ericx
ericx's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=320459

Don Guillett

try [color10]
Red [Color 3]
Green [Color 4]
Blue [Color 5]
Yellow [Color 6]
Magenta [Color 7]
Cyan [Color 8]
[Color 9] [Color 9]
[Color 10] [Color 10]
[Color 11] [Color 11]
[Color 12] [Color 12]
[Color 13] [Color 13]
[Color 14] [Color 14]
[Color 15] [Color 15]
[Color 16] [Color 16]
[Color 17] [Color 17]
[Color 18] [Color 18]
[Color 19] [Color 19]
[Color 20] [Color 20]
[Color 21] [Color 21]
[Color 22] [Color 22]
[Color 23] [Color 23]
[Color 24] [Color 24]
[Color 25] [Color 25]
[Color 26] [Color 26]
[Color 27] [Color 27]
[Color 28] [Color 28]
[Color 29] [Color 29]
[Color 30] [Color 30]
[Color 31] [Color 31]
[Color 32] [Color 32]
[Color 33] [Color 33]
[Color 34] [Color 34]
[Color 35] [Color 35]
[Color 36] [Color 36]
[Color 37] [Color 37]
[Color 38] [Color 38]
[Color 39] [Color 39]
[Color 40] [Color 40]
[Color 41] [Color 41]
[Color 42] [Color 42]
[Color 43] [Color 43]
[Color 44] [Color 44]
[Color 45] [Color 45]
[Color 46] [Color 46]
[Color 47] [Color 47]
[Color 48] [Color 48]
[Color 49] [Color 49]
[Color 50] [Color 50]
[Color 51] [Color 51]
[Color 52] [Color 52]
[Color 53] [Color 53]
[Color 54] [Color 54]
[Color 55] [Color 55]
[Color 56] [Color 56]

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"ericx" wrote in message

This one has perplexed me for years...

If I do "Format/Cells...", "Number" tab, and type in a new number
format like this...

[Green]$ #,##0.00_-;[Red]-$ #,##0.00_-

and look at the output for positive numbers, the green colour presented
is the 4th one down from the top of the color grid (a bright green,
almost neon color) instead of the green that is the 2nd one down from
the top (a real dark green colour, like money (or grass)).

Anyone know how to get the formatting to show the 'good' dark green
colour, not the bright neon green.

Just wonderin' all these years...

Eric

--
ericx
ericx's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=320459

ericx

Fantastic!

I changed "[Green]" - "[Color10]" and got *exactly* what I needed.

By the way, the neon green color is "[Color6]". Never again will my
eyes burn when I see that awful (default) color.

Where do I send my money for this solution?? :)

Many thanks,
Eric

--
ericx
ericx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16860
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=320459

Bob Phillips

As a matter of interest Don, do you recall how you discovered that? I
haven't seen it anywhere else.

Bob

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
glad to help. Send Wild Turkey to the address below.
Seriously, I am available for hire.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"ericx" wrote in message

Fantastic!

I changed "[Green]" - "[Color10]" and got *exactly* what I needed.

By the way, the neon green color is "[Color6]". Never again will my
eyes burn when I see that awful (default) color.

Where do I send my money for this solution?? :)

Many thanks,
Eric

--
ericx
ericx's Profile:

View this thread:

JE McGimpsey

David McRitchie also has a list on-line:

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colors.htm

In article ,
"Don Guillett" wrote:

Hi Bob, Happy after bird day. If you mean about the RGB color. Try googling
for it. I also have a wb I got somehwhere with all the colors that I can
send to an OFF list request.

To those who don't know what "off list" means. It means, do not request here
if you want a response. Send a private email to my address ONLY.