Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AndrewA

Default Entering zeros in Excel

I am creating a simple excel document into which I want to place address
values such as Name, Street, Zip Code etc. Ultimately, I will do a Mail
Merge with Word to create address labels.

The problem: When I type into the field I have for zip codes, if the zip
code starts with a zero (eg., 06787), Excel immediately deletes the zero and
list the entry as "6787". I have tried to enable "zeros" in
Tools/Options/View/Zero Values but can not get the program to allow the entry
of "06787".

What simple thing am I missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nuver

Highlight the cells you wish to enter the zip code in and go
formatcells. Under catefory click custom, then under type enter 5
zeros. This will format the cells to acept leading zeros.

Ed

--
nuver
nuver's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10036

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bernard liengme

Select the range of cells and use Format|Cells-Number-Custom and enter
00000 as the custom format.

The view zero setting is used to display/hide values that compute t zero (no
just a leading zero)

best wishes
Bernard

"AndrewA" wrote in message
I am creating a simple excel document into which I want to place address
values such as Name, Street, Zip Code etc. Ultimately, I will do a Mail
Merge with Word to create address labels.

The problem: When I type into the field I have for zip codes, if the zip
code starts with a zero (eg., 06787), Excel immediately deletes the zero
and
list the entry as "6787". I have tried to enable "zeros" in
Tools/Options/View/Zero Values but can not get the program to allow the
entry
of "06787".

What simple thing am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

If you just need to display the leading zeros in the zip cod, try this:

FormatCellsNumber
\Type: Special
\Select one of the zip code formats.
\Click [OK]

If you input 00123 it will change to 123 but will display as 00123

If you want to retain the leading zeros as input in the cell:
FormatCellsNumber
\Type: TEXT
\Click [OK]

If you input 00123 it will retain that value display as 00123 (it won't be a
number though)

Does that help?

€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢
Regards,
Ron

"AndrewA" wrote:

I am creating a simple excel document into which I want to place address
values such as Name, Street, Zip Code etc. Ultimately, I will do a Mail
Merge with Word to create address labels.

The problem: When I type into the field I have for zip codes, if the zip
code starts with a zero (eg., 06787), Excel immediately deletes the zero and
list the entry as "6787". I have tried to enable "zeros" in
Tools/Options/View/Zero Values but can not get the program to allow the entry
of "06787".

What simple thing am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

For the mail merge (if you use format|cells to show the leading 0's):

Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

AndrewA wrote:

I am creating a simple excel document into which I want to place address
values such as Name, Street, Zip Code etc. Ultimately, I will do a Mail
Merge with Word to create address labels.

The problem: When I type into the field I have for zip codes, if the zip
code starts with a zero (eg., 06787), Excel immediately deletes the zero and
list the entry as "6787". I have tried to enable "zeros" in
Tools/Options/View/Zero Values but can not get the program to allow the entry
of "06787".

What simple thing am I missing?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AndrewA

Huge Thanks to All!

I tried Ron's initial suggestions which seems to solve the problem--like
Photoshop, I guess there are lots of ways to fix a particular problem.

Again, many thanks for the quick response.

"AndrewA" wrote:

I am creating a simple excel document into which I want to place address
values such as Name, Street, Zip Code etc. Ultimately, I will do a Mail
Merge with Word to create address labels.

The problem: When I type into the field I have for zip codes, if the zip
code starts with a zero (eg., 06787), Excel immediately deletes the zero and
list the entry as "6787". I have tried to enable "zeros" in
Tools/Options/View/Zero Values but can not get the program to allow the entry
of "06787".

What simple thing am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Plasim

Hi, do a custom format to the column or cell containing the zip codes.

Right click on the cell or culumn containing the zip codes, go to
"format cells" select the "number" tab then select "custom". Enter
your own costom format by simply typing in "00000". Excel will then
retain the 0 at the begining of your zip code.

Plasim

--
Plasim
Plasim's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28909