Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default Entering zeros in Excel

For the mail merge (if you use format|cells to show the leading 0's):

Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

AndrewA wrote:

I am creating a simple excel document into which I want to place address
values such as Name, Street, Zip Code etc. Ultimately, I will do a Mail
Merge with Word to create address labels.

The problem: When I type into the field I have for zip codes, if the zip
code starts with a zero (eg., 06787), Excel immediately deletes the zero and
list the entry as "6787". I have tried to enable "zeros" in
Tools/Options/View/Zero Values but can not get the program to allow the entry
of "06787".

What simple thing am I missing?

--

Dave Peterson