Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kainoa

Default Unprotecting a single cell

I believe I'm fairly decent at programming in excel, but I can't figure
out this problem. I've created a spreadsheet with a lot of accounting
data on it (billing, payments history, etc.). I've protected the
entire sheet, but sometimes I need to go back in and change one cell. I
want to keep the rest of the sheet protected so I don't affect any other
numbers, but unlock the cell I'm interested in. I know that this is
possible in Lotus, but I can't find a way to do this in excel. If
anyone has some answers I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in
advance.

--
Kainoa
Kainoa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28856

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alan

Unprotect the sheet, highlight the whole sheet, right click, 'Format cells',
click 'Protection', uncheck 'Locked' OK
Edit as required and reverse the procedure
Regards,
Alan
"Kainoa" wrote in
message ...

I believe I'm fairly decent at programming in excel, but I can't figure
out this problem. I've created a spreadsheet with a lot of accounting
data on it (billing, payments history, etc.). I've protected the
entire sheet, but sometimes I need to go back in and change one cell. I
want to keep the rest of the sheet protected so I don't affect any other
numbers, but unlock the cell I'm interested in. I know that this is
possible in Lotus, but I can't find a way to do this in excel. If
anyone has some answers I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in
advance.

--
Kainoa
Kainoa's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=486055

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TC

If you have certain cells that you want to be able to change regularly.
Unprotect the sheet. Right click on the cells you want click 'Format cells',
'Protection', Click on the 'Locked' check box so it is not selected. Now
Protect the sheet. You can know change data in cells you unlocked but nothing
else.

TC

"Kainoa" wrote:

I believe I'm fairly decent at programming in excel, but I can't figure
out this problem. I've created a spreadsheet with a lot of accounting
data on it (billing, payments history, etc.). I've protected the
entire sheet, but sometimes I need to go back in and change one cell. I
want to keep the rest of the sheet protected so I don't affect any other
numbers, but unlock the cell I'm interested in. I know that this is
possible in Lotus, but I can't find a way to do this in excel. If
anyone has some answers I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in
advance.

--
Kainoa
Kainoa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28856
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=486055

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kainoa

Thanks for the reply guys, but I don't think I explained it right. I
want to be able to unlock the cell without unlocking the sheet. I was
wondering if I could unprotect (unlock) a single cell on the fly, then,
after I' m done editing the sheet lock it again. I just wanted to know
because unprotecting, unlocking, then editing and locking, and then
protecting again is getting pretty tedious. I hope this clears it up.
Thanks again.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alan

One way to do that is with a couple of macro's,
Try:

Sub Edit_Sheet ()
Sheets("Sheet1").Unprotect ("Password")
End Sub

Sub Edit_Sheet ()
Sheets("Sheet1").Protect ("Password")
End Sub

Copy and paste this in a VB module then assign a couple of keyboard
shortcuts to fire up the macro's easily, if you're unfamiliar with VB code
please post back and I or someone will guide you through it.
Regards.
Alan.
"Kainoa" wrote in
message ...

[...]

[...]