Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EJ B

Default How do I remove a hidden space in Excel cells

Not sure if this is an Excel or Word problem...

I am doing a mail merge in Word (envelopes). I am pulling my data (name,
address, cit/state/zip) from an Excel .xls I created.

In mail merge, I select envelopes and go through all the steps.

I use the Address Block for the delivery address. However, when it pulls
the data over, the name line (first line of address block) is indented by one
space. No matter what I do (place cursor at indent and use backspace or
place cursor at next two correct lines and add a space), the change doesn't
take place. I've checked all the tabs as well.

Someone mentioned that I might have a hidden space in the cell but when I
look at my cells, I don't see anything obvious. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

If the space shows up in both the cell and the formula bar, then something
invisible is there. In the formula bar, select the "thing" and back it out.

If the space is in the cell and not in the formula bar, then it is probably
an indent. Use the Decrease Indent button to remove the indent.
--
Gary's Student

"EJ B" wrote:

Not sure if this is an Excel or Word problem...

I am doing a mail merge in Word (envelopes). I am pulling my data (name,
address, cit/state/zip) from an Excel .xls I created.

In mail merge, I select envelopes and go through all the steps.

I use the Address Block for the delivery address. However, when it pulls
the data over, the name line (first line of address block) is indented by one
space. No matter what I do (place cursor at indent and use backspace or
place cursor at next two correct lines and add a space), the change doesn't
take place. I've checked all the tabs as well.

Someone mentioned that I might have a hidden space in the cell but when I
look at my cells, I don't see anything obvious. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Anne Troy

Hi, Gary's Student. Actually, this is a known Word issue...something to do
with Word thinking that there ought to be a space before an address block.
Bottom line...when doing mail merge, don't use the address block. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/t...oft_word. htm
for more info. :)
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"EJ B" wrote:

Not sure if this is an Excel or Word problem...

I am doing a mail merge in Word (envelopes). I am pulling my data (name,
address, cit/state/zip) from an Excel .xls I created.

In mail merge, I select envelopes and go through all the steps.

I use the Address Block for the delivery address. However, when it pulls
the data over, the name line (first line of address block) is indented by
one
space. No matter what I do (place cursor at indent and use backspace or
place cursor at next two correct lines and add a space), the change
doesn't
take place. I've checked all the tabs as well.

Someone mentioned that I might have a hidden space in the cell but when I
look at my cells, I don't see anything obvious. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EJ B

Thanks very much. I did exactly as you suggested by doing it line by line
and I finished my task. Thanks to both for your help!!