Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ru kidden

Default mapping keystroke to a cell

I would like to map a keystroke to a cell and have it add up the number of
times the keystroke has been applied.

For instance if I touched the A key 3 times it would give me the value of 3
in one cell. If I touched the B key 2 times it would give me the value of 2
in another cell.

I'm thinking of using this in a laboratory situation. Where I could count
the different types of blood cells under a microscope using the keyboard.
Once I reached a total of a 100 diffent types of cells it would play a .wav
file that would alert me that the count of 100 had been reached.

Using a different key for each cell would allow me to diffentiate between
the different types of blood cells for a total of 100 overall.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

If you select cell A1 and tap the a key 20 times, then A1 would contain 20
a's. The formula =LEN(A1) will then tell you how many times the a key was
tapped.
--
Gary''s Student

"ru kidden" wrote:

I would like to map a keystroke to a cell and have it add up the number of
times the keystroke has been applied.

For instance if I touched the A key 3 times it would give me the value of 3
in one cell. If I touched the B key 2 times it would give me the value of 2
in another cell.

I'm thinking of using this in a laboratory situation. Where I could count
the different types of blood cells under a microscope using the keyboard.
Once I reached a total of a 100 diffent types of cells it would play a .wav
file that would alert me that the count of 100 had been reached.

Using a different key for each cell would allow me to diffentiate between
the different types of blood cells for a total of 100 overall.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ru kidden

That gets me a little closer. But, I really need to be able to map a key to a
certain cell. So if I hit the number 1 key for instance is would insert a
value in a cell.

I would like to hit the number 1 key and it insert a value of 1 in the A1
cell. If I hit the number 2 key I would like it to insert a value of 1 in the
B1 cell and so on...

"ru kidden" wrote:

I would like to map a keystroke to a cell and have it add up the number of
times the keystroke has been applied.

For instance if I touched the A key 3 times it would give me the value of 3
in one cell. If I touched the B key 2 times it would give me the value of 2
in another cell.

I'm thinking of using this in a laboratory situation. Where I could count
the different types of blood cells under a microscope using the keyboard.
Once I reached a total of a 100 diffent types of cells it would play a .wav
file that would alert me that the count of 100 had been reached.

Using a different key for each cell would allow me to diffentiate between
the different types of blood cells for a total of 100 overall.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Breitenbach

While that solution works, I get the impression that the warning audio needs
to be played when you reach a hundred - not when you reach a hundred and
press enter, which is what you would have to do to have the LEN function
react to the new total.

My suggestion is to type "a" or "b" and then enter moving you from a1 to a2
to a3, etc. Then have the following formulas
in b1 =IF(A1="a",1,0)
in c1 =IF(A1="b",1,0)

then the following table in e1 to f3 where the following formulas are in f1-f3
[sample for 3 keystrokes of "a, b, a"]
Total a's 2
Total b's 1
Total ALL 3

f1: =SUM(B:B)
f2: =SUM(C:C)
f3: =f1+f2

I dont know off hand how to add a wave file when a cell reaches a certain
number but if you know that you'd add it to f3.

hth,
Dave