Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave

Default Qube Root?

Can someone please tell me how to use a qube root in an equation.
I know SQRT(x) is the opposite of x^2, but i want to know how to do the
opposite of x^3 or x^?.
Appreciate any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dominicb

Good afternoon Dave

Rather than try to explain it I'll just show you an example:

Cube:
3^3=27

Cube Root:
27^1/3=3

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary T

If you want to raise a number, x, to the power "n", the way to do this in
Excel is:

=x^n.

To do the "opposite" (i.e. take the "n"th root of x), then you need to type
in the following:

=x^(1/n).

Note that you need to put the brackets in as if you just put:

=x^1/n, what this will do is raise x to the power 1 (i.e. it will stay at
x), then divide this by n. The above equation thus effectively reads:

=x/n

The brackets in the correct expression [=x^(1/n)] ensure that the root of
the equation is calculated correctly.