Lewis

Default Change Time in a Cell from [hh]:mm to decimal value ie 16:45 - 16.

Here lies the problem. I'm cheap, I want to be paid for every minute that I
work, I do the time cards for work and I'm using Excel to perform the
functions. I have no problem with adding and subtracting the times in single
cells or totalling all of the time. If I come up with a person having 47
hours and 13 minutes how do I get Excel to convert 47:13 to 47.22 so that I
can then multiply the 40 by hourly rate and the 7.22 by 1.5 the hourly rate ?
--
Thank You, God Speed, and Semper Fidelis
Biff

Hi!

This all depends on how you have things setup.

To convert 47:13 to 47.22 just multiple 47:13*24.

If 47:13 is the result of a formula:

=SUM(A1:A7)

Then:

=SUM(A1:A7)*24 returns: 47.21667

So, if you want 47.22 then you'll have to round:

=ROUND(SUM(A1:A7)*24,2)

Again, this all depends on your setup!!!!

Assume that formula is in A10.

For the regular hours (<=40)

=MIN(A10,40)*regular_rate

For OT (40)

=MAX(A10-40,0)*OT_rate

Biff

"Lewis" wrote in message
Here lies the problem. I'm cheap, I want to be paid for every minute that
work, I do the time cards for work and I'm using Excel to perform the
functions. I have no problem with adding and subtracting the times in
single
cells or totalling all of the time. If I come up with a person having 47
hours and 13 minutes how do I get Excel to convert 47:13 to 47.22 so that
can then multiply the 40 by hourly rate and the 7.22 by 1.5 the hourly
rate ?
--
Thank You, God Speed, and Semper Fidelis

R.VENKATARAMAN

this is the solution I found in one of these newsgsroups

for e.g. a1
47:13:00

now in B1 type
=a1*24
and then FORMAT B1 as GENERAL (or some numeric format) -Not as time

you will get
47.21666667