maalle

Default linked workbooks

I am trying to create a national network of schedules that includes many
small route segments. Each segment is a separate workbook and each
route has two worksheets, one for each direction. All times are
calculated using Excel's time formulas. Now the fun begins, I am
trying to link all these together showing possible connecting service
using the link function in Excel. All the links use the absolute
feature. So now when I add a column or delete a row, everything gets
messed up. Is there a way to make sure the link stays with the
original cell it was linked to even when that cell is moved over a
column or up or down a row?

One other feature that would be nice. Is there a way to write a macro
that could be run at the end to make connection times show up in, say,
red when they are less than 30 minutes from the time above to alert any
connection problems.

Thanks for your help and any ideas that will help simplify this
project.
Mary

--
maalle
maalle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28734

Dave Peterson

If the other workbook is open, then the formulas will adjust when you make those
changes in the first workbook.

Another option would be to name each of the ranges that you're linking to. Then
use the names in your formulas.

And you may want to look at Format|conditional formatting to change colors.