John Allison

Default Protecting a worksheet containing XML List

I have a worksheet on which I have an XML-mapped list. I want the users
of this document to be able to add rows to the list by hand, then
export the data to an XML file which is then used by an application we
run. I realise that this is perhaps not how this feature was intended
to be used but it suits our purposes.

My problem is that I cannot protect the worksheet without making the
list un-editable. Ideally I would have all cells locked down except the
list itself, to which users could add and delete rows.
Whatever I try results in the list not allowing new rows whenever I
protect the worksheet.

Any ideas on how this could be accomplished?
(I am using Excel 2003, the XML mapping feature is not available in
previous versions).