Saxman

Default Horseracing Problem

Although this is a horseracing problem, it could possibly be adapted from a
financial (stocks/shares) problem.

I have a spreadsheet that extracts data from the internet and displays the
current horse odds on a worksheet in column E.

I would like to copy this data and display/paste it in another
workbork/worksheet. (I thought another workbook might be better in case
the new coding interfered with the current code). I would also like to
gather this data every 30/60 seconds (gathering of data timing is
adjustable on the main workbook), and display each capture of data in a new
column. Calculations could then be made as to whether the data was rising
or decreasing for each horse.

One could possibly then represent the data visually in a graph on the same
sheet in order to see whether horse racing odds were rising or decreasing
in the same way as stocks/shares?

Maybe there is a template or similar that somebody has that I could adapt
for my purposes?
topola

Sounds interesting topic. It doesn't seem difficult from the technical
point of view.
In the target sheet define a range e.g. "DATA" with the results data
and build a chart upon it (InsertChart or F11).
There should be one blank column in your data range so that you could
easily add new column in between.
You need a simple macro to move the data from the source sheet to the
target sheet to be placed in the
new column in the "DATA" range whenever new data is captured. The
chart should be update automatically.

Tomek Polak, http://vba.blog.onet.pl

Saxman

On 10 Nov 2005 02:04:00 -0800, topola wrote:

Sounds interesting topic. It doesn't seem difficult from the technical
point of view.

I thought that myself.

In the target sheet define a range e.g. "DATA" with the results data
and build a chart upon it (InsertChart or F11).
There should be one blank column in your data range so that you could
easily add new column in between.

Not quite sure what you mean by blank column. Where do I place it?

You need a simple macro to move the data from the source sheet to the
target sheet to be placed in the
new column in the "DATA" range whenever new data is captured. The
chart should be update automatically.

I do not want the data to be represented by a bar chart. A line graph
would be better so that fluctuations in price could easily be observed as
the data was gathered.

Thanks for the help.

topola

Not quite sure what you mean by blank column. Where do I place it?

Name your data range "DATA" (Insert Name Define). If you have
three columns with data then your data range should have four columns
(the right one blank). This way you'll not have to change the data
reference each time. The point is that the reference is defined not by
the number of the columns but the addresses of the corners (good for
you).

Type of the chart you can always change simply using right click and
changing it from a pre-defined pallete.

How it is going? TP