Frantic Excel-er

Default Filter and Page Setup

Hi All,

I have a question about filters and page headings for printing a filtered
document. I basically need advice on the best way to accomplish the below
listed task.

I have set up a spreadsheet for logging transmittals received from different
offices that my company has around the world. In this spreadsheet, I have
numerous rows of information that we need to keep track of. I would like to
place filters on SOME of the columns (not all of them). When I have the
filter on, and I print out the document, I would like it to have a title that
is relevant to the filter. For example, if I filter for all transmittals
received from Singapore, then I want to be able to print that filtered
document with a title on the page that says "Transmittal Log: Singapore". I
would have several different names for the criteria.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I know a little bit about writing
code, but I am not a guru by any means. I would be willing to try if that is
what it takes to get the job done. I am very tired of having to go into each
different worksheet to update this log, and then having to combine the
worksheets if I need to filter for information other than the country.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!
bpeltzer

You could easily create a macro to set the filters as you need them, change
the header (in file / page setup) and print the file. I would think you
could do a simple macro record / play unless you're tring to apply further
intelligence (say, limit the print area to certain rows based on a visual
inspection). Try it for a particular setting: Tools / Macro / Record New
Macro (give it a meaningful name, say 'Print_Singapore_Xmittal'). Go through
all the same steps you would do manually, then turn off the recorder.
Now try playing the macro: Tools / Macro / Macros, then double-click on the
name of the macro you just recorded.
To see the program, go to Tools / Macro / Visual Basic Editor. You'll
probably see how you could copy that macro to others for your various filter
/ print requirements.
BTW, if your security is set to High, you won't have access to any of the
macro functions. Tools / Macro / Security will let you change it; I usually
use medium. Note that changes won't take effect until you exit and restart
Excel.
When you've created a whole series of these macros that you want to have
executed automatically, we'll chat again. Nothing beats telling your
computer to get busy while you go have lunch ;-).
HTH. --Bruce