julie

Default SUMIF Problem

I'm trying to use SUMIF and the results appear to be wrong. I've checked to
be sure that the values in column B are truly numbers (not text) and they are
numbers. Column C1 is where the formula resides and the sum should be
583.50. I watched what happening using the Function Wizard, and for the
sum_range it is = {516;67.50}. Also tried taking the = out of the criteria
argument and it doesn't matter. Any ideas?

=SUMIF(A1:A1,"=2",B1:B2)

A B C
1 67.50

Thanks for your help,
--
Julie

julie

Thanks for bearing with me. Did you try =sumif(A1:A1,2,B1:B2)? According to
their help text, "sum_range does not have to be the same size and shape as
range." It seems for the sum_range it's ignoring the rows in column A that
contain 1 instead of 2.
Thanks for taking the time.
--
Julie

"Ray A" wrote:

Julie,
I entered your identical data and in C1 entered =sumif(A:A,2,B:B) and it
worked fine for me

"julie" wrote:

Ray- Thanks. I did try that (just tried it again). It doesn't make a
difference. I also made sure column A was numeric by-the-way. Any other
thoughts would be appreciated.
--
Julie

"Ray A" wrote:

Hi Julie,
Remove the " marks and the equal sign. The " signify text and the = sign is
not needed
HTH

"julie" wrote:

I'm trying to use SUMIF and the results appear to be wrong. I've checked to
be sure that the values in column B are truly numbers (not text) and they are
numbers. Column C1 is where the formula resides and the sum should be
583.50. I watched what happening using the Function Wizard, and for the
sum_range it is = {516;67.50}. Also tried taking the = out of the criteria
argument and it doesn't matter. Any ideas?

=SUMIF(A1:A1,"=2",B1:B2)

A B C
1 67.50

Thanks for your help,
--
Julie

Jerry W. Lewis

Since you want the sum or not depending only on a single cell, use
=IF(A1=2,SUM(B1:B2),0)

You have misinterpreted the remark that you quote from Excel 2003's Help.
Before the remark, Help states that cells are added "if their corresponding
cells in range match criteria", and the examples show that the sum_range will
be extended to match the size of the match range if it is not the same size
or shape. There is no example to suggest that the match range might be
extended (as you are wanting) to match the size and shape of sum_range.
Since there is no cell in the match Range corresponding to B2 in your
formula, B2 will never under any circumstance be included in the sum.

Jerry

"julie" wrote:

I'm trying to use SUMIF and the results appear to be wrong. I've checked to
be sure that the values in column B are truly numbers (not text) and they are
numbers. Column C1 is where the formula resides and the sum should be
583.50. I watched what happening using the Function Wizard, and for the
sum_range it is = {516;67.50}. Also tried taking the = out of the criteria
argument and it doesn't matter. Any ideas?

=SUMIF(A1:A1,"=2",B1:B2)

A B C
1 67.50

Thanks for your help,