nastech

Default Cond. Format & Absolute Cell Reference Question

Can I put the first part of a conditional format in an external cell, and
make reference to it, but have reference go to one "Absolute" Cell? The
first part of the equation is a IF true, then not, idea. Was / am using:

=IF(OR(O9="",E9="d",E9="n",E9="na",H9="pv",RIGHT(J 9,2)="du",RIGHT(M9,2)="du",AI9<$AI$4),"T","")

=IF(AU9="T","",.... in conditional format

Can I have the info in the 1st part referenced to a single cell, and all
other lines refer to it? i.e. line #'s "9" won't be same from every line of
the new origin.
(Need to make the 9 universal). Thanks
Duke Carey

If your question is: 'Can you use mixed reference in Conditional Formatting?'
the answer is yes.

use the 'Formula is' option, then type in

=($AU9="T")

click on the Format button and set the formatting attributes. OK your way
back out to the worksheet

"nastech" wrote:

Can I put the first part of a conditional format in an external cell, and
make reference to it, but have reference go to one "Absolute" Cell? The
first part of the equation is a IF true, then not, idea. Was / am using:

=IF(OR(O9="",E9="d",E9="n",E9="na",H9="pv",RIGHT(J 9,2)="du",RIGHT(M9,2)="du",AI9<$AI$4),"T","")

=IF(AU9="T","",.... in conditional format

Can I have the info in the 1st part referenced to a single cell, and all
other lines refer to it? i.e. line #'s "9" won't be same from every line of
the new origin.
(Need to make the 9 universal). Thanks

nastech

Hi, thanks for that, not sure if that will work. (you might be right) I
already am using "Formula is" option for where the formula originally came
from, but what trying to do is use what might call the prefix, listed below,
which is the same in all 3 conditional formats.

Aside from that, what need is for each record to "wildcard? the rest of the
9's in that row: I was trying to put line listed below, into 1 single cell.
Would need something like:

=IF($AU$9="T","",.... in conditional format

but all the rest of the 9's to be wildcards? in that single cell. Just
don't know if can do.
=IF(OR(O9="",E9="d",E9="n",E9="na",H9="pv",RIGHT(J 9,2)="du",RIGHT(M9,2)="du",AI9<$AI$4),"T","")

Is that a sort of reverse "mixed reference"? Thanks
xxxxx

"nastech" wrote:

Can I put the first part of a conditional format in an external cell, and
make reference to it, but have reference go to one "Absolute" Cell? The
first part of the equation is a IF true, then not, idea. Was / am using:

=IF(OR(O9="",E9="d",E9="n",E9="na",H9="pv",RIGHT(J 9,2)="du",RIGHT(M9,2)="du",AI9<$AI$4),"T","")

=IF(AU9="T","",.... in conditional format

Can I have the info in the 1st part referenced to a single cell, and all
other lines refer to it? i.e. line #'s "9" won't be same from every line of
the new origin.
(Need to make the 9 universal). Thanks

Duke Carey

Your explanation doesn't make much sense to me, so it's really a guess as to
what you are trying to do.

Using an IF() in conditional formatting doesn't make much sense. All you
really need to do is enter a formula that evaluates to TRUE or FALSE. That's
usualy the first argument to the IF().

BTW, you can simplify your OR() a little bit by using

OR(O9="",E9={"d","n","na"},H9="pv",RIGHT(J9,2)="du ",RIGHT(M9,2)="du",AI9<$AI$4)

"nastech" wrote:

Can I put the first part of a conditional format in an external cell, and
make reference to it, but have reference go to one "Absolute" Cell? The
first part of the equation is a IF true, then not, idea. Was / am using:

=IF(OR(O9="",E9="d",E9="n",E9="na",H9="pv",RIGHT(J 9,2)="du",RIGHT(M9,2)="du",AI9<$AI$4),"T","")

=IF(AU9="T","",.... in conditional format

Can I have the info in the 1st part referenced to a single cell, and all
other lines refer to it? i.e. line #'s "9" won't be same from every line of
the new origin.
(Need to make the 9 universal). Thanks

nastech

Hi, yes, sorry if some of it was vague. Might not be possible anyways / may
seem like small thing. Idea: heard of splitting equation up to different
cells, (for couple reasons), save space, allow (outside of conditional
formats): NO: UNION, INTERSECTION or array CONSTANTs (in cond. formats,
with {} brackets) where in a normal cell, you can perform those..

In Cond. Format 3 boxes, have same prefix, some over 1/2 the 256/267
character space allowed. Equation is Prefix: IF(OR(x,x,x),"", then rest
of equation

With thousands of lines, moved Prefix to new column in line, & Redirected
1st part of new cond. format to that cell in same line, (now in cond. format:

=IF(AU9="T","", rest of formula) first / big part used to be Prefix in Cond.
Format). Saved "some" space in Mbytes, saved some "serious" space in Cond.
Format Boxes to allow more variables of what trying to do... skip

What was looking for: Move that 1 cell at end of each line with repeats of
same prefix, to one fixed/absolute cell (to save some serious "Megabytes", &
make seriously easy to update).

Problem: each line refers to items from orignial line (the 9 is the
problem):
IF(OR(x9=x),"" /nothing,
as your first solution tried to wildcard the column letters "x", actually
need a "reverse"? wildcard application to the "9". Original Cond. Format
Cell in line 9 would refer to

=IF(AU9="T","", rest of what doing.... in conditional format, skip

refers to: AU9, If I want to put this in one (absolute) cell, 9's will not
work in the rest of the lines (NEED: to somehow wildcard the 9's), may seem
silly but if MS put an additional box in Cond. Formatting for repeat items/
prefixes/ exclusions, would save Mb's in file. (the rest of the variables in
the equation could save serious space as well, if there were only minor
differences).

=IF(OR(O9="",E9="d",E9="n",E9="na",H9="pv",RIGHT(J 9,2)="du",RIGHT(M9,2)="du",AI9<$AI$4),"",rest of equation))) now moved to new cell in same line says:

=IF(OR(O9="",E9="d",E9="n",E9="na",H9="pv",RIGHT(J 9,2)="du",RIGHT(M9,2)="du",AI9<$AI$4),"T","")

orignal cell cond. format now says: =IF($AU$9="T","",rest of eq....

times thousands of lines (want to move to one cell). Thankyou for replies.

XXXXXXXXXX