Ramthebuffs

Default Paste Special problem □

I have a sheet that I have to change the format from general to text and
back while copy and pasting different info. After doing this once the
data pasted doesn't past correctly. The deliminator shows up as
□ and all the info is pasted into 3 cells instead of maybe 20.
Anybody know what causes this and maybe some remedies? As of now I can
only input 1 paste special at a time before I have to reset Excel so I
can continue to another paste special.

--
Ramthebuffs
Ramthebuffs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16429

Dave Peterson

I know that excel likes to help by remembering settings from the last data|text
to columns that you've used.

I think I'd run a dummy data|text to columns, delimited, but remove all the
checkmarks.

Then copy and paste.

That should paste into a single column.

Then you can select that range and do data|text to columns the way you want.

The next time you paste, excel will remember your settings (once again). If it
helps, then you should be happy. If it doesn't help, then maybe pasting all the
data, then doing one data|text to columns would work better for you.

ps. What's the &#9633 character? I think it may have been changed in your
post.

Ramthebuffs wrote:

I have a sheet that I have to change the format from general to text and
back while copy and pasting different info. After doing this once the
data pasted doesn't past correctly. The deliminator shows up as
□ and all the info is pasted into 3 cells instead of maybe 20.
Anybody know what causes this and maybe some remedies? As of now I can
only input 1 paste special at a time before I have to reset Excel so I
can continue to another paste special.

--
Ramthebuffs
Ramthebuffs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16429
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483232

--

Dave Peterson
Ramthebuffs

The character looks like a square, I'm not sure what its called.

--
Ramthebuffs
Ramthebuffs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16429
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483232

Dave Peterson

Chip Pearson has an addin that will help determine each character in a cell.
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

But did the other stuff help with your problem?