Chris Ince

Default Excel Hyperlink Base Directory

Hi,

I am distributing a workbook which has a set of accompanying notes (help
file) as a Word Document. The Word doc is linked to various cells in the
worksheet by a series of hyperlinks.

The problem is that I do not know where end-users will save the worksheet
and its accompanying files. I can suggest, but every user will have a
different user name depending upon their organisation etc. eg My
Documents\user\Log Book (for "user" insert any combination of letters/number!)

I would like to just force Excel to locate the Word doc in the same
directory as the active worksheet (as this is where it will be) but to no
avail so far.

Am using Macros already, so VBA solution would not be a problem.

Many thanks,
Chris
Elkar

Don't include a path with the filename in the link. Just use the file name.
Windows will then assume that the path of the destination file is the same as
the open file.

HTH,
Elkar

"Chris Ince" wrote:

Hi,

I am distributing a workbook which has a set of accompanying notes (help
file) as a Word Document. The Word doc is linked to various cells in the
worksheet by a series of hyperlinks.

The problem is that I do not know where end-users will save the worksheet
and its accompanying files. I can suggest, but every user will have a
different user name depending upon their organisation etc. eg My
Documents\user\Log Book (for "user" insert any combination of letters/number!)

I would like to just force Excel to locate the Word doc in the same
directory as the active worksheet (as this is where it will be) but to no
avail so far.

Am using Macros already, so VBA solution would not be a problem.

Many thanks,
Chris

Chris Ince

Yes, thank you, have just figured it out! Have converted them all to use
HYPERLINK formula rather than "Insert HYperlinks". Works like a dream now.

Shows the problems of a long day and trying to be too complicated.

Thanks again
Chris