stats

Default how to use excel to do random sampling

I have a data set of 30 numbers. I need to use excel to draw 50 random
samples of size 5 and then compute the mean for each sample. How do I do
this?
Nikki

if your sample is between a1:a30 and your sample between 0 & 1.
in B1 type =Rand(a1) and copy and paste the formula to B30. if your numbers
are larger than 1 then use =Rand(a1)*100. Rand() gives you random sample.

Nikki

"stats" wrote:

I have a data set of 30 numbers. I need to use excel to draw 50 random
samples of size 5 and then compute the mean for each sample. How do I do
this?

David J. Braden

With, or without, replacement? And do you insist on using Microsoft's poor
prng, or be willing to settle for a much better one? (I'm thinking along the
lines of PopTools, a free add-in).

Finally, if you are looking for the distribution of the means, why not just
calculate it directly instead of using simulation? Your population size is
tiny; or are you just throwing out some numbers (5 of 30, 50 samples) for
the sake of concreteness?

DaveB