RWS

Default hyperlink base address

in a worksheet, how do i set the base address for hyperlinks? i hyperlink
hundreds of product photos to item numbers in my inventory worksheet. when
inserting hyperlinks i have to move up the directory numerous levels to get
to my vendors folder where i store the item photos. i have tried the process
microsoft recommends but it doesn't work.
Ron Coderre

Have you tried this?:

In the Workbook with the hyperlinks:
FilePropertiesSummary
€’Hyperlink Base: Enter whatever base path you need.

All workbook hyperlinks will be saved relative to that setting.

Does that help?

€’€’€’€’€’€’€’€’€’€’
Regards,
Ron

"RWS" wrote:

in a worksheet, how do i set the base address for hyperlinks? i hyperlink
hundreds of product photos to item numbers in my inventory worksheet. when
inserting hyperlinks i have to move up the directory numerous levels to get
to my vendors folder where i store the item photos. i have tried the process
microsoft recommends but it doesn't work.

Dave Peterson

Maybe if you change the hyperlink base to C:\, then the link will keep its
correct name--instead of excel trying to shorten it.

ps. I like to use the =hyperlink() worksheet function. I've never seen excel
mess with those.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Looking in Excel's help would describe it greater detail, but it's a worksheet
function:

=HYPERLINK(link_location,friendly_name)

Kind of like:
=HYPERLINK("http://www.microsoft.com","Click here to go to MS's site")
or
=HYPERLINK("file:////c:/my documents/excel/book1.xls","Click to open")

If the files all exist in one folder, I can put that folder name in A1 and the
filenames in (Say) A2:A99.

Then I can use this kind of thing in b2:B99:

=hyperlink("file:////" & $a$1 & a2, "Click to open")
or even
=hyperlink("file:////" & $a$1 & a2 & ".jpg", "Click to open")

depending on what I put in A2:A99.

Then if the folder changes name, I just fix A1 and all my links are adjusted.