robazefa

Default Import text file to a SINGLE ROW?

How do I import text into a single row in excel?
So far, I have tried the following in Excel 2002 SP3
dataimport external data import data delimited tap and colon to

seperate the data

I get data that is placed in a similar format to the text file, in
several columns and several rows, but I need all of the data in
seperate columns within the same row. How do I do this in excel?

Thanks,
Robazefa

--
robazefa
robazefa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28483

Bryan Hessey

Hi,

Apart from editing your import file and removing CR/LF characters
before you import, a possible option is to re-arrange your data after
the import.

Assuming you have 38 rows of data, and that row 39 onwards is blank,
then in A39 the formula

=IF(OFFSET(A$1,INT((ROW()-INT(ROW()/39)*39)),INT(ROW()/39)-1)="","",OFFSET(A$1,INT((ROW()-INT(ROW()/39)*39)),INT(ROW()/39)-1))

formula dragged downwards will copy all data to the A column where you
can then Copy & (to a seperat sheet) Paste-Special = Values to fix the
data.

You can then use Transpose on that data to spread it across the columns
, however, there are only 256 columns, so you cannot use this for bulk
items.

Hope this helps