Ken G.

Default Spreadsheet appearance

I have a spreadsheet (not mine) which when opened displays no tool bars,
scroll bars, or row and column headers. I know it is easy to break a
password on Excel and I'd like to be able to convert some of the sheets I
send out to various people in our organisation to the above format. I would
think it would be very difficult for an unauthorised user to get behind the
scenes.

How do you create a spreadsheet that looks like that? Can the readily
available password crackers be used on a sheet like this?
Bob Phillips

Scroll bars, and row and column headers are set in ToolsOptions.

Toolbars can be removed with on opening and restored on close with this code

Option Explicit

Private mFormulaBar

Dim oCB As CommandBar
For Each oCB In Application.CommandBars
oCB.Enabled = True
Next oCB

Application.DisplayFormulaBar = mFormulaBar
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim oCB As CommandBar
For Each oCB In Application.CommandBars
oCB.Enabled = False
Next oCB

mFormulaBar = Application.DisplayFormulaBar
Application.DisplayFormulaBar = False
End Sub

'This is workbook event code.

HTH

RP

"Ken G." wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet (not mine) which when opened displays no tool bars,
scroll bars, or row and column headers. I know it is easy to break a
password on Excel and I'd like to be able to convert some of the sheets I
send out to various people in our organisation to the above format. I

would
think it would be very difficult for an unauthorised user to get behind

the
scenes.

How do you create a spreadsheet that looks like that? Can the readily
available password crackers be used on a sheet like this?

Rowan Drummond

Hi Ken

The macro's that remove worksheet passwords do not rely on the tool bars
being visible so removing them will make no difference to the security
of your sheets.

Regards
Rowan

Ken G. wrote:
I have a spreadsheet (not mine) which when opened displays no tool bars,
scroll bars, or row and column headers. I know it is easy to break a
password on Excel and I'd like to be able to convert some of the sheets I
send out to various people in our organisation to the above format. I would
think it would be very difficult for an unauthorised user to get behind the
scenes.

How do you create a spreadsheet that looks like that? Can the readily
available password crackers be used on a sheet like this?

dominicb

Good evening Ken G

Go to Tools Options, View under Window options are the settings that
you can use. Once these have been invoked you will need to set the
workbook protection to protect the structure of the workbook.

The bad news? Yes, this protection is the type of protection that can
be removed instantly. This protection is OK to prevent accidental data
change or erasure from the casual user, but a determined enough
individual could get around the measures.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb