ALupin

Default How can I have an initial zero in an Excel cell?

I want to be able to enter times as eg 0845 but no matter what cell format I
use, there is a problem, either that the initial zero is lopped off or that I
am informed there is an error. Is there any way of solving this?
bj

try
<format<cell<number<custom
enter 0000
and you will get a four digit display with an initial display with a leading
zero.
Note this is not a time function

"ALupin" wrote:

I want to be able to enter times as eg 0845 but no matter what cell format I
use, there is a problem, either that the initial zero is lopped off or that I
am informed there is an error. Is there any way of solving this?

Hairy Hurdler

I use Format, Cells, Number tab, select "Custom" format and select the "0"
just below "General"; then I add three zeros to the "0" displayed in "Type"
and this format is then available for use.

"ALupin" wrote:

I want to be able to enter times as eg 0845 but no matter what cell format I
use, there is a problem, either that the initial zero is lopped off or that I
am informed there is an error. Is there any way of solving this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

BUT when you save the file and go back to it the number looks the same but
the format has changed from 0000 to Greek !! Anybody else had this problemo
? It screws the cell format for later merging to other documents I've found.