Hari

Default Relative Reference

Hi,
My question is I have a row and a column of values. I am trying to multiply
the row by column and display it in a row format.
eg

Row 3 5 2 5

Column
1
4
5
6

I want the product to be displayed as
3 20 10 30
by using relative reference. It doesnt work for me. Pl. let me know if
anyone has any idea.

Thanks
Biff

Hi!

Assume:

A1:D1 = 3;5;2;5

A3:A6 = 1;4;6;5

=A1*INDEX($A3:$A6,COLUMNS($A:A))

Copy across as needed.

Biff

"Hari" wrote in message
My question is I have a row and a column of values. I am trying to
multiply
the row by column and display it in a row format.
eg

Row 3 5 2 5

Column
1
4
5
6

I want the product to be displayed as
3 20 10 30
by using relative reference. It doesnt work for me. Pl. let me know if
anyone has any idea.

Thanks

JMB

Let's say your row is in cells B1:E1 and your column is in cells A2:A6.

Select cells B2:E2, type

=B1:E1*TRANSPOSE(A2:A5)

and hold the Control and Shift keys while you press Enter.

"Hari" wrote:

Hi,
My question is I have a row and a column of values. I am trying to multiply
the row by column and display it in a row format.
eg

Row 3 5 2 5

Column
1
4
5
6

I want the product to be displayed as
3 20 10 30
by using relative reference. It doesnt work for me. Pl. let me know if
anyone has any idea.

Thanks

pinmaster

Hi,
How about something like this:
Say you have in column A starting in A2 (1,4,5,6) and in row 1 starting
in B1 (3,5,2,5) then the formula would be:
in column B
=B1*INDIRECT("A"&ROW(2:2)+COLUMN()-2)
copied across

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261

Mladen_Dj

"Hari" wrote in message
My question is I have a row and a column of values. I am trying to
multiply
the row by column and display it in a row format.

You could use array formula with transpose function. Select 4 cells in row,
and write a formula:

=A1:D1*TRANSPOSE(A2:A5), and press ctrl-shift-enter.