Judi Mason

Default change ten digits in a cell to include phone # formats

I need to change a cell with ten digits to include the phone number format
characters. Not just in the "view", but in the actual cell. The cell needs
to be changed from "1234567890" to "(123) 456-7890", including the space
after the area code. I am importing an excel file of phone numbers and the
contents need to be exact. Any suggestions?
Gary Rowe

Assuming your number is in cell A1, enter the following formula in cell b1:
=TEXT(A1,"(000) 000-0000"), copy that formula to for other lines and then
copy/paste values and the result will be the text you're looking for.
Gary

"Judi Mason" wrote:

I need to change a cell with ten digits to include the phone number format
characters. Not just in the "view", but in the actual cell. The cell needs
to be changed from "1234567890" to "(123) 456-7890", including the space
after the area code. I am importing an excel file of phone numbers and the
contents need to be exact. Any suggestions?

RagDyer

Have you tried,
<Format <Cells <Number tab,
And click on "Special", and choose "Phone Number"
?
--
HTH,

RD

"Judi Mason" <Judi wrote in message
I need to change a cell with ten digits to include the phone number format
characters. Not just in the "view", but in the actual cell. The cell

needs
to be changed from "1234567890" to "(123) 456-7890", including the space
after the area code. I am importing an excel file of phone numbers and

the
contents need to be exact. Any suggestions?

CLR

Sorry, forgot to mention that if you use this formula and then do Copy
PasteSpecial Values, then you will get all the info in the cell without
just being "formatted", as you asked.............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"CLR" wrote in message
="("&LEFT(A1,3)&") "&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3