Brad

Default Partial input

When cell C12 = 1 , I would like the user to be able to input a value in C13
When cell C12 1, I want to control the input in C13

ie when c12 = 1 the use would enter values ranges 1 through 52
when c12 1 I would chose the appropriate number to use (again 1 through 52)

Can I have an "equation" in cell C13 to do this? I realize that the desired
result can be done using additional cells, but was wondering if it could be
done in one cell?
Dave Peterson

How about an alternative?

You could use another cell (C14??) to get the value you want:

=if(c12=1,c13,yourformulahere)

Then just use c14 as the cell with the "real" value.

--

Dave Peterson
Brad

Thank you - that is an approach that would work - but I'm assuming that by
your reply that Excel cannot handle it in one cell it really needs two?

I was planning for cell b13 to have the following
=if(c12=1,"Number of pays since issue","Contract is in renewal years")
and then have cell c13 contain the appropriate answer.

Brad wrote:

When cell C12 = 1 , I would like the user to be able to input a value in C13
When cell C12 1, I want to control the input in C13

ie when c12 = 1 the use would enter values ranges 1 through 52
when c12 1 I would chose the appropriate number to use (again 1 through 52)

Can I have an "equation" in cell C13 to do this? I realize that the desired
result can be done using additional cells, but was wondering if it could be
done in one cell?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

A cell can either have a formula or a value.

You could do some stuff with events and change the cell to a formula (or remove
the formula) depending on what happens to that other cell if you really wanted
to, though.

And you could have B13 and B14 get changed depending on what's in C12:

=if(c12=1,"","your description here")
and
=if(c12=1,"your other description here","")

So that only one description shows up in the instruction column.

Brad wrote:

When cell C12 = 1 , I would like the user to be able to input a value in C13
When cell C12 1, I want to control the input in C13

ie when c12 = 1 the use would enter values ranges 1 through 52
when c12 1 I would chose the appropriate number to use (again 1 through 52)

Can I have an "equation" in cell C13 to do this? I realize that the desired
result can be done using additional cells, but was wondering if it could be
done in one cell?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Brad

Thanks again,

Your reply is exactly what I ended up doing last night - I even went one
step farther and used the conditional formatting to "white out" the cells
that would not apply, because if I would not want the used input - found in
c13 in this "example" to show up.