hazel

Default Keeping a sum colum correct after inserting a colum of data in fro

Help: I have a simple sum calculation and every month I insert a column and
type in new data. How can I get my sums to work without having to redefine
the sum range every month?

I am sure there is some excel wizard out there that knows an easy way to do
this. Please help..thanks Hazel
Dave O

Suppose your column data is in columns A thru E, and your totals are in
F. Insert a new column immediately to the left of your totals, so the
new blank column is F and the totals are in G. Set up the totals
formulas so the range includes the blank column; then when you insert a
new column to accommodate a new month, insert it to the left of the
blank column F. After the insert, F is the column for the new month,
the blank column will be G, and the totals range will still extend to
the blank column.

Otto Moehrbach

Hazel
I'm not sure what you are summing. If you're summing each individual
column and you have to insert a new formula each month, you can simply drag
the formula you have across to all the columns that you don't have yet.
When you put data in the new columns the formula will already be there.
Or are you summing all the columns together using one formula? In that
case change the formula to encompass all the 12 columns and more rows than
you think you will ever use. Something like:
=Sum(A1:L1000)
Or did I miss something? HTH Otto
"hazel" wrote in message
Help: I have a simple sum calculation and every month I insert a column
and
type in new data. How can I get my sums to work without having to
redefine
the sum range every month?

I am sure there is some excel wizard out there that knows an easy way to
do
this. Please help..thanks Hazel

Roger Govier

Hi Hazel

One way
Enclose your data range between hidden columns.
Supposing your data range to start was going to be 6 columns wide B to G
with a formula somewhere which says = SUM(B2:G2)
Instead, insert a blank column at B and hide it, and a blank column at H and
hide it and make the formula in I2
=SUM(B2:H2)

As you insert new columns (next to your labels), they will be at column C
and will always be within the range starting with B, or inserting new
columns before your total, will still be within the summed range.

Regards

Roger Govier