Roger Govier

Default Keeping a sum colum correct after inserting a colum of data infro

Hi Hazel

One way
Enclose your data range between hidden columns.
Supposing your data range to start was going to be 6 columns wide B to G
with a formula somewhere which says = SUM(B2:G2)
Instead, insert a blank column at B and hide it, and a blank column at H and
hide it and make the formula in I2
=SUM(B2:H2)

As you insert new columns (next to your labels), they will be at column C
and will always be within the range starting with B, or inserting new
columns before your total, will still be within the summed range.

Regards

Roger Govier

hazel wrote:
Help: I have a simple sum calculation and every month I insert a column and
type in new data. How can I get my sums to work without having to redefine
the sum range every month?

I am sure there is some excel wizard out there that knows an easy way to do
this. Please help..thanks Hazel